Rear hitch step fabricationhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just bought a van since the family is getting larger. Both of my dogs are in crates in the back and I am wondering if I can fabricate a step connected to the rear hitch so that I do not need to deal with a ramp. I am thinking about A small platform made out of metal or wood that is attached or bolted to the hitch and can come off and on easily so that I am not driving with the hitch connected. There are pet steps that I see on Amazon however they are in the $250 range, I'm thinking a hitch with some DIY skills should keep me much cheaper. Any suggestions on the design? I was wondering if there is some sort of clamp that I can attach to the platform and the hitch so that the platform can be removed easily without messing with the hitch itself. Thank you

Does the van not have a receiver hitch? Why can't you just pull the pin and take it out when you want? Search "dog hitch step" and you'll see some for under $75.

If you have the fab tools you can make what you want for less obviously.

This is for the dogs? They cannot jump up?

You can pick them up, I do for my 60 lb. For my larger dog he gets halfway in, I put my arms around his belly and lift and push.

There is not guarantee the dog will like or trust a ramp.

Some dogs seem to have no problems with steps, while others do. Our small dog loves to sleep in our bed at our feet. couldn't quite make the jump, so got him a set of doggy steps. He just will not use them, have tried all kinds of tricks and training methods, but no dice. Just sits there and begs to be picked up. BUT, he runs up and down the 14 steps to the basement or upstairs no problem.

Start out doing pushups/squats everyday (25) then you'll have the upper and lower body strength to lift them up and put em in the back. Takes a minute per day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I have a hitch receiver so I need some type of step that will fit into the hitch itself. I don't mind picking up the dogs however the van is my wife's so she cant pick up my hundred pound dogs.

Last edited:

I know the feeling, just can't get my hairy [censored] up like I once did

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Thanks for the responses. I have a hitch receiver so I need some type of step that will fit into the hitch itself. I don't mind picking up the dogs however the van is my wife's so she cant pick up my hundred pound dogs.

Do they try and jump up and in?

I pick up 1/2 my dogs weight as he gets partially in on his own. I would push him to climb the rest of the way but baby his rear legs as he broke his ACL as a puppy and had $5000 in surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back