New home issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
No home inspector will find everything.... simple as that.

The home has 2 tubs and 1 shower. 2 of the 3 leaked through the ceiling with first use.

Seems like a simple "find" to me. I didn't even pull the drain on one and it was already leaking through the ceiling...

Originally Posted By: dja4260

The home has 2 tubs and 1 shower. 2 of the 3 leaked through the ceiling with first use.

Seems like a simple "find" to me. I didn't even pull the drain on one and it was already leaking through the ceiling...

What matters here is YOU where the one not sleeping from the whole bunch. So you caught it quickly before doing a lot of water damage.
Since you are kind of in construction mode/dust all-over, I would repair/re-do everything you need for functionality/cosmetics now.
Go into home depot and buy a power outlet check/tester thing-a-ma-jiggy and check all outlets in the house.

And one more thing: in 5 years you won't even remember.

(Have some friends in GA who had this happening to them twice; they got to know the closest extended stay hotel really well)

Heck of a Father's Day....

So I guess your gift is you taking care of the family

One father to another: I'm PROUD of you, man!

P.S. the old lady not knowing anything: my apartment building is full of them. A teenager played a joke and pulled all the manual release cords at the garage doors. not a funny view....old people trying to physically lift a double door or having no idea on engage/disengage the garage door opener...

sorry for your bad experience. Before I even finished reading your initial post, I figured that the seller hadn't used those tubs in years. I'd wager that most homes are sold "as is". a home warranty is really an insurance policy. I used to be a partner in a remodeling company - we would frequently get called in AFTER someone got burned by bad work. one of the worst was a second floor where the tub drain didn't work. the presumption was that the previous contractor cleaned plaster in the tub. regardless, during our inspection we found that the main dwv stack was cast iron and broken between the two floors: most of the drain pipe was gone from a break in the pipe when the building settled. further inspection revealed a collapsed drain line for the building. ultimately we replaced every piece of plumbing in the building: feeds and drains.

that being said, "home inspections" can be valuable, but also somewhat of a joke.
You are fortunately enough to have the skills to fix this mess.

Last edited:
Are the tubs plastic/fiberglass by chance? Reason I ask is, some flexing and movement may have occurred that didn't happen when the inspector just ran water. I've seen and had that happen.

I too have very little faith in professional home inspections. Nothing against the inspectors! I've dealt with some excellent ones. It's just that they can't see and predict everything.

Last edited:
Overall, it seems like minor stuff. It's no different when buying a used car. You (or the inspector/mechanic) won't catch everything. You'll no doubt be finding more little things to attend to. A previous inspector I had blessed the house off with 3 layers of shingles.

I agree, no excuse for missing leaks.

I bought the house after the home inspector (and folks here on BITOG) said not to.

Contractor that the sellers brought in caused even more damage to the structure. And the contractor did some modifications and "upgrades" that caused the crawlspace to flood with 8'' of water.

Interesting times.

I'm very thankful for good friends who do foundation work and structural work!

You didn't buy a new home, you bought a 27 year old used home. Sucks but that stuff happens. In the whole moving process this will look pretty minor when you look back. 30 years ago we bought an old house from an elderly woman who had lived there for 50 years. We knew we had work to do but as soon as we moved in the sewer backed up. She used so little water that she never knew the clay tile was full of roots. No money, had to dig 75' of ditch by hand and replace the sewer pipe from the basement to the curb. Unhappy doesn't come close but life continued and it was soon forgotten.

Just like used cars, used houses need stuff you didn't catch. We had this 1985 house inspected and he didn't catch that the dishwasher didn't work and the electric furnace only ran on 1/2 the elements. Heck, my daughter had a new house built 18 months ago and she's still having things fixed under the 2 year warranty.

Fix it up and enjoy your new life. Congrats!

Welcome to homeownership.

If $ 100 gets you that fired up, I can't wait to see your reaction when a hot water heater goes out. Hope everything else like the roof doesn't need replacing anytime soon.

Old man MURPHY will jump up and bite you when you think you are in tall cotton. Just chalk it up to the exigencies of life. One of my favorite sayings and one that my war department has heard over the years is "it's always something." I'm pretty sure that the backside of out headstone will one day read "now it's nothing." Fair enough. Think "Sweet Season." "Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose, Sometimes the blues get a hold of you."
cry.gif

Don't feel so bad... I know of a couple that had to replace the sewer mainline under the slab on a 3 year old house! I think it was $6,000 to do.

This is my third home that I've owned.

I can fix anything so I'm just moving on and enjoy this amazing opportunity. MY wife gets to now stay home as I just accepted a position as an Assistant Principal.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Happy Fathers day to you proud dads.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I've experienced something similar; I purchased a house in mid-winter and found that the A/C was neither functional nor serviceable come spring.

It sucks, and I feel your pain.

They usually can't check the A/C when the temperature is below 70. They usually look at the age of the condenser and tell you if it's really old that it's fully depreciated which is their way of saying that it can go anytime.

The inspector said that they ran all the water in the house. The pictures in the inspection report didn't say that. Simply said the tubs "appear" to be functional.

Did you read the fine print on the home inspection? Around here they say that the limit of their liability is the cost of the inspection which is probably why the inspector offered to refund you his inspection fee.

I suppose if you took it to small claims your case would be that it's gross negligence for him not to run the water. You wouldn't need a lawyer in small claims. And yes, just like cars, most homes are sold as-is. A small rule of thumb is that the maintenance cost of a home is about 1-2% of the purchase price per year.

Just saw the "get a lawyer" comment.

Hilarious suggestion. Not only would you lose instantly, but you'd be out more money than you spent on the repair.

Maybe homeownership isn't for you?

I can fix anything so I'm just moving on and enjoy this amazing opportunity. MY wife gets to now stay home as I just accepted a position as an Assistant Principal.

WAIT WAIT WAIT:

You didn't answer the most important question:

In your daughter's future there is a pink toolbox or a pink castle?

As you know, the ability to fix anything will indeed serve you well in many areas.

Obviously the 'inspector' missed this. My test on any 2nd/3rd story bath with a tub is to fill it at least to 50%, then let her go all at once. Just like a woman taking a bath. A shower stall can be filled up to the rim, then let go.

Re: Popcorn ceilings. I painted mine myself back in '87 or so with a quality white ceiling paint (Benjamin Moore). 30yrs later they're still bright white and look nice. Paint adheres it to the ceiling and prevents it from 'dusting' over time.

Happy Father's Day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back