Durability test taken out of API CK-4 test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by a tractor mechanic that the durability test was taken out of the CK-4 certification, so it would be able to pass other test. He went on to say that a test was done by getting some GM 4.3L V6's with flat tappet heads and it showed that the CK-4 oils would did not hold up and it worn the engines down. I couldn't find the anything online about it. Is it true or what? I understand that newer engines don't use flat tappet heads anymore(maybe except Ford) and that may be why it was removed.

Your friend is misinformed or just flat out making things up. CK-4 is tested for engine wear and one of the hardest tests to pass is the Cummins B series flat tappet test, which CK-4 passes. Individual engine manufacturers conducted their own testing and granted their own certification to CK-4 with the obvious exception of Ford.

Furthermore there is no such thing as a flat tappet head. There are however flat tappet camshafts.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Your friend is misinformed or just flat out making things up. CK-4 is tested for engine wear and one of the hardest tests to pass is the Cummins B series flat tappet test, which CK-4 passes. Individual engine manufacturers conducted their own testing and granted their own certification to CK-4 with the obvious exception of Ford.

Furthermore there is no such thing as a flat tappet head. There are however flat tappet camshafts.
So where have you read that the person was my friend? Ok, ok flat tappet engines. This was in some race car magazine that I didn't ask about. The whole GM 4.3L V6 thing seemed a little the way it was, unless GM made some special for them. But that why I am here. I am looking to verify his claim. Internet searches found nothing.

Last edited:
The 4.3 test seems odd to me since that engine has been a roller cam engine for a LONG time.

If you're looking for a high ZDDP oil for a flat tappet cam engine there are plenty on the market. Diesel oils in CI-4 CI-4+ CJ-4 are all great candidates in readily available oils. Other botique oils are also a good source for a specific need.

If you're looking for help with a specific application, ask that directly and you'll get better results.

In terms of compatibility for CK-4 in a flat tappet engine, the B series engine certification is all I need to know for a diesel application. Outside of that or for use in a Gas engine without a roller cam, just use the pre CK-4 spec oils, there are plenty out there.

I have read a technical paper with the 4.3 used as test bed. I don't know if it was motored (driven by an electric motor), or actually run on gasoline. As I recall it was made available in batches by GM to a lab for a specif series of oil additives tests. Shannow might be able to dredge up the reference ...

Why would GM make the 4.3's available for CK-4 testing, when they have so many other better candidates ...

Last edited:
They would have been the old SBC style even fire FT hyd cammed engines. There would be no problem increasing the spring rate for wear testing, or using a mechanical FT cam in these engines as they take the same adjustable rockers n pushrods as the sbc.
Edit... maybe GM had some old test mules still on hand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back