Confused with new ratings... What do I need to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys... I'm a little behind times here, and this may be a stupid question, but I need help.

I was standing in the oil is today lost as to which oil I need to buy.

I was looking at Delo 400 10w30 as well as Rotella T5 10w30, and apparently there is now two different types of each of these oils. What do I do? My manual states (this is somewhat confusing also btw)

"To obtain the best engine performance and engine life, oil labeled SG/CF and SH/CF4 are recommened."

Next paragraph says

"Initial factory fill is API SG/CD....." "When you add or change engine oil, use only SG/CD...."

So first it says SG/CF and SH/CF4. Then it says SG/CD, which just seems weird.

That being said, which Delo and/or Rotella T5 do I use? One Delo says CK4/SN, the other says FA4/SN. One Rotella T5 says CK4/CJ4/CI4/CH4 and the other says Ultra and FA4.

I just don't know what replaces what, and what is the proper choice. This is a gas engine if it makes any difference.

Please and thank you to anyone who may be able to make this easier for me

In short , you need PCMO SN/SM/SL that has superceded SG and SH.
Your examples are HDEO's i.e dual rated diesel engine oil...... hence both CK4/SN and FA4/SN are fine for your applications.

I would agree with what Zeng is saying. What vehicle are you asking about? I haven't seen a vehicle mentioning SG/CF and the like in a gasser for many, many years, of course. Given that, though, a CK-4/SN or an FA-4/SN would be acceptable.

Several Rotella varieties are no longer technically gasoline rated. That may or may not bother you.

Personally, I would opt for CK-4, just on the basis of higher HTHS alone. CK-4 has to have a HTHS of 3.5 or more. FA-4 is only required to have a HTHS of 2.9. FA-4 is purely fuel economy motivated. Not interested in it.

I'd go for the Rotella T5 if I were you, and the flavor available is rated for gas engines. As long as the oil has the SM or SN gasoline rating it's fine in your engine. X2 on what Tiredtrucker said about dual rated oils that are FA-4 for on the diesel side.

SG/CF oil hasn't been around for nearly 20 years.

"I was looking at Delo 400 10w30 as well as Rotella T5 10w30"

Either of these are excellent oils, and should serve you well.
There's a $5/gallon rebate going on for the Rotella.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned what the application was, and why I was looking at the diesel oils.

It is a '95 Volvo/OMC 5.0FI marine engine. The engine is a Ford 5.0 HO EFI engine with Gzt40 heads. Its basically an early 90s style mustang 5.0 fuel injected engine. I believe the car versions used 10w30 engine oil, but the Marine app called for 30w, however I believe the 10w30 is fine. I was looking at the HDEOs since the engine is always under load and they are also *supposed* to be better with corossion etc.

I appreciate everyone that chimed in. I ended up saving a couple of bucks over the T5 and chose Delo 400 XLE Isosyn CK-4/SN 10w30 SynBlend, and threw a can of LM MoS2 in for good measure. I wish there was a full syn readily available, but I'm sure this oil is more than acceptable. I had been using Amsoil ACD SAE 30w/10w30 in the past, which people seem to agree is good oil and is my preference, but it is pretty expensive and inconvenient compared to the shelves of Walmart. My goal was to find a good quality, readily available less expensive option that I can stick with for the rest of it's life instead of shopping for new oil every change. Hopefully this Delo will be around for awhile and stay at a good price.

Well, this is one place where an SAE 30 HD is the right choice. No VII's to dilute the actual oil that is doing the lubricating. As you said, It's under 100% load all the time.

The engine is more likely the same core as the Mercury Mountaineer version of the 5.0. That is a stout build and a sought after engine for swaps into trucks and SUV's. Makes a great boat motor
smile.gif

For more on the SAE 30 discussion go here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4096620/Best_SAE30_weight_oil?#Post4096620 Read through it and you'll see why we are talking 30's. Better upper cylinder protection and some other benefits.

If it's warm enough to go boating, you do not need a 10W winter rated oil. It'll light and run fine on a 30. If you insist on dual rated oil, I'd go Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) which you will not find at Wal-Mart ... But can order on Amazon. Buy enough for free shipping
smile.gif

The marine environment is one place 30's really shine. That market is still selling thousands of gallons of 30's and 40's for boat owners and commercial operators.

Do not believe the "corrosion" argument. All engines are fully covered by a film of oil internally after they have been run a few minutes. It never leaves. The only corrosion that is consequence is upper cylinder corrosion on the one or two cylinders with an open valve when you shut it off for the night. And SAE 30 HD is better at protecting from that than any multi-grade ...

If you want an actual marine oil, buy Mercury Quicksilver 25W-40. It is stout oil (for a multi) and it protects pretty well. Available at any West Marine shop. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mercury-marine--premium-sae-25w-40-4-stroke-marine-engine-oil-gallon--15827496?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Dynamic%2520Search%2520ADs-_-Null&adpos=1t2&creative=99997524844&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CI21sojD19QCFROXfgodxTEJiw
smile.gif

-BrocLuno

Thanks for the info... That is why I had been using the Amsoil ACD. It does not contain any VII's. So all that being said, is there any downside to using a HDEO 10w30? One thing I have noticed that with the fuel injection, I haven't seen any fuel dilution issues, even on the UOA I had done once. Do you believe the SAE30 Rotella would be a better option? I just prefer some sort or syn or syn blend. I was really happy with the Amsoil 30w, it is just expensive.

The ACD is a good oil. Using a 10w30 is valid. All the heavy diesel engine manufacturers are factory filling with 10w30 and have been for the last few years. I take a hybrid approach. I use a 10w30 in the winter in my Detroit 60 and a 15w40 in the summer. Both syn blend Schaeffer oils. 706,000 miles on the engine and it only uses 2 qt of oil in 22,000 miles with wear numbers equal to when it had 50,000 miles on it. I did sneak in a Delvac Extreme 10w30 blend last winter just to see what CK-4 looked like in the engine for an OCI. I am now totally on CK-4 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back