Air flter housing, 96 Mercury Villager

Status
Not open for further replies.
The air filter housing om my daughter's 1996 Mercury Villager (3.0 V6) is cracked allowing air to bypass the filter. In addition, it is a royal PITA to change the filter. Is there a K&N or other such filter that will mount into the air intake hoses without having to purchase a whole new intake system? I was hoping that a round or tapered cone type filter would work. I want to eliminate the stock air filter box.

Last edited:
I wouldnt. Id replace the airbox instead and use stock filters, they should last fairly long. I believe you need to clean the cold air intake cone filters regardless, and in my experience they dirty the oil faster and might throw off the 02 sensors. IMO, its replacing one issue with another and possibly more.

Assuming they even make a CAI for your model, I would bet they are expensive. Try eBay for a used airbox- I had a similar problem with another vehicle and found one for $30 on ebay.

You probably could build yourself a "hot air intake" out of a cone filter and PVC conduit, I've seen it done before. But that wouldn't be as good in anyway as the stock box and filter.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
There's no CAI kits for the V/Q

Start checking eBay, or the V/Q Yahoo group for a new box

The word 'kit' only means someone else has taken the initiative to put some bits in a box and slap a label on the front. Buying a couple of straight lengths and a couple of 45's and some joiners yields the same result.

Look at Airaid as an example of how a bent tube, a saw and some imagination let's you build exactly what you want - eyeball your engine bay and imagine what you want, then get on eBay.

And remember, form
Now it's sealed and she isn't ingesting unfiltered air you can take your time looking for a cheap standard replacement
wink.gif

Last edited:
The MAF bolts onto the left half of the airbox, and there's a snorkel on the right half with the IAT sensor, and there's a Helmholz resonator on the intake boot - you could fabricate a flange to bolt onto the MAF and use a K&N cone filter with a port for the IAT sensor. You don't live in a CARB/OTC state so you can be creative.

I see quite a few of these at the junkyards as well, if rigging doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Use foil tape and cover the crack.

I would also do this. That HVAC tape (which is what I call it) sticks really good and will last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back