Alright who here runs 20W-50 ( or higher )

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with the V Twin, it's got 1800ppm of zinc...a galvanising oil.

I did a UOA in the motorcycle section a long time ago, maybe 09 or 10. Was sent to me as an email and can't access that account anymore.

Found it !!!
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1959364/

Lots of Boron and Moly, but I was told it had more zinc in it than that.....

Originally Posted By: Silk
1987 BMW R65,76,012km,2832km on Castrol Edge Sport 25/50.

Cu - 4
Fe - 10
Cr - 1
Pb - 6
Al - 4
Si - 5
Na - 3
Sn - 1
Mo - 114
Ni - 1
Mg - 39
Zn - 820
Ca - 1818
P - 683
B - 234
Ba - 0
Cd - 1
Mn - 0
Ag - 0
Ti - 0
V - 0
K - 1
NIT - 7
SUL - 34
OXI - 30
V40 - 181.9
PQ - 9
H2O - 0

Being marketed as a performance oil for pushrod 2 valve V8's,I thought it might be good in my pushrod 2 valve airhead.

This was posted on another web site about US Muscle cars in Australia, dated 2015, the guy rang Castrol Australia and asked about their zinc content in Edge 25W-50 and which oil to use in his 383 Chevy, the reply email from Castrol is below.

Quote:
Thanks for your earlier telephone call to our Technical Helpline.

Confirming our earlier advice, the engine oil recommendation that we made was to use the product called Castrol ‘Edge 25W-50’.

Typical Zinc (Zn) and Phosphorus (P) levels for this product are listed below:

Zn Content : 1,100 ppm
P Content : 1,000 ppm

Also attached is a Technical Data Sheet covering this item for your possible further information.

Kind regards,

Product Applications & Projects
Castrol Australia

Ref:
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/archive/index.php/t-14540.html

A friend runs 20W-50 WPP oil in his VW Vanagons. If it was not a API SN-rated oil, I wouldn't have too much of an issue. I tried telling him that Delo/Rotella/Delvac CJ-4/CK-4 15W-40 would be a better choice, a little more ZDDP. Apparently, the local VW shop uses 20W-50 in all buses.

Air Cooled VWs don't mind 20W-50 at all, the ones made in mexico from 1984 on however have hydraulic lifters which makes them tick on 20W-50 so 40 grades are better for those, i have a friend with a 1200cc '84 Mexican Beetle and it runs great on a 15W-40 HDEO.

I've decided to start using straight 40 and higher on the old cars. I've got redline 50wt in the vette and whatever's cheap like castrol 40 HD in the trans am. The rope seal rear main in the Pontiac will not tolerate 5w oils.

I'd rather have straight weights as they work better.

Agreed, for many applications
smile.gif

I have a customer with an '84 Chevrolet C20, 350, granny 4 speed truck. It leaks oil and he never checks it. The last time I changed it, he brought it in with the lifters clattering. It may have had a quart and a half in it.

I have him on 20W-50 at the moment, and next go around I'll either do the same or 40wt. He also has an '06 Chrysler Town and Country with a 3.8 that burns and leaks oil. It will probably get 30wt next go around.

He's a very busy man with rental properties all over the county, and in spite of his poor maintenance habits, his vehicles just keep chugging along.

I have run a fill of QS 20W-50 in the Roadmaster, and it did great, but my oil pressure has been more consistent on 30wt Delo, and now old 30wt GT-1.

I ran QS 20W-50 in my mom's Craftsman lawn mower with a 21hp Briggs and Stratton for a mowing season, and it looked as good coming out as it did going in. I was rather ashamed to drain it honestly.

I've settled on 30wt being my go to grade for old vehicles/OPE, with 20W-50 a close second. I use 5W-30 and 0W-20 synthetic or blend in the new things.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Air Cooled VWs don't mind 20W-50 at all, the ones made in mexico from 1984 on however have hydraulic lifters which makes them tick on 20W-50 so 40 grades are better for those, i have a friend with a 1200cc '84 Mexican Beetle and it runs great on a 15W-40 HDEO.

Aircooled VW's are prone to bled down lifters (those with hydro's 78+ years) regardless of oil viscosity used. I've been working on the Type-4 engines for 30+ years and do not recommend and/or build those engines with hydros. Bus engines live a hard life compared to a Bug or Ghia. Solid lifters only. As for oil in them? I use only Valvoline VR-1 Racing conventional 10w-30 and change it every 4K.

I just saw this one the other day, from Nulon, another local Australian company

Nulon 25W-60 Street & Track, mineral oil, (API SG)
High Zinc (ZDDP) and High Moly (MoDTc) oil, TBN = 5.4, Zinc = 1900 ppm
KV40 = 276.9 cSt, KV100 = 23.92 cSt

ST25W60-5.jpg

Last edited:
So that Nulon 25W-60 is just too thick, so I decided to say something about it.

I walked up to the Nulon people, to tell them I needed more start-up flow, but when I got to them, I got all flustered and forgot what I was going to say.

PHR22957.jpg

I'll stick with PC's Produro TO-4+ SAE 60

40C 371
100C 26.9
HTHS 7.0
VI 97
-10C 106,000
CC 15,854 @ -5C
PP -21C
CD/GL-3

oops, edit... didn't see the selfie, only listening to Sketch-She from now on

Last edited:
Not AN ambulance, the entire FLEET of ambulances used 25w60 (in the 1990's) with no issues. Keep in mind they were garaged and had block heaters plugged in whenever they weren't out on the road. Plus, we never see less than zero degrees Celsius here. 20w50 was the go to oil for pretty much every V8 back then, so 25w60 wasn't really seen as anything too wild...

One more for you, Hi-Tec Oils, another Australian company.
They have a line of racing oils called SHP (super high performance)
SHP 50 (20W50, 2200 ppm Zn, TBN = 7.65)
SHP 60 (25W60, 1500 ppm Zn, TBN = 7.62)
SHP 70 (25W70, 1500 ppm Zn, TBN = 7.62)

All are rated API SN if you want to use them in your street car.

5L-SHP-RACING50.png

Im shocked at some of the remarks in here about the Castrol GTX 20w50.

Why on earth does anyone think its an old outdated oil? (please dont answer that) *L*

Its just as modern and better then any other oil, its an SN heavy weight multigrade oil with a robust additive package to boot.
Doesnt get much better people!

Someone above posted a recent UOA and here is Castol's own propaganda.

Mostly only in the USA are such 5 and 0/20 "lite" oils used because of retarded EPA mileage demands, not all the world works the same as us. Heck, I can by 20w50 HDEO oils overseas, here in the USA I have to search every corner of the internet for them. Now dont misstate my post, yes 20/50 is rarely called for in new automobiles, but there are some overseas but forget all that, its an option we ahve and great for bikes or other types of applications.

Click here and see the UOA a few posts above mine.

Last edited:
20w50 is a very common oil viscosity here in Venezuela, people uses it in Corolla, Mazda 3, 4Runner and almost every car that is older than 100k miles.

I used to use that viscosity too but since I started to read this forums I decided to switch to 15w40 oils, any oil grade thinner than that is more hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back