2009 Duramax deleted, 172k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very happy overall with this UOA. I don't typically use oil stabilizer, but in west Texas heat and idling 10+ hrs a day I wanted to make sure the oil didn't get too thin when hot. The oil had 6,300 miles and almost 500hrs on it, Rotella T4 CK-4 with 1qr Shell X100 oil stabililizer.

I thought "oil stabilizer" was just a Lucas thing, I didn't know that anyone else made such a thing. Like the Lucas, it appears that the Shell version doesn't have any additives (at least nothing that shows up).

As for long periods of idling in heat, I've never seen an issue with my heavy duty diesels with 10W30 over the past several years. Although, I always bump the idle up to the highest rpm I can. I idle my Detroit at the max of 900 rpm as is recommended. I don't know if you guys with the pickup trucks have that option or not.

I used Lucas for over 900,000 miles in my N14 Cummins and my oil reports looked just like yours after 18-20k miles. I know now it wasn't necessary but with my Pittsburgh Power programmer adding a bunch of power/torque, I felt better adding LOS. It was only $10/gallon back then and the engine didn't suffer, other than extra fuel consumption.

Don't forget the oil cooler. I'm sure you must have one and shouldn't see any excessive oil temps idling in high ambient temps. My trucks do get up around the normal operating oil temp when idling in 110-120f desert heat, but that's about it. Maybe your truck is different, though.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Nice house you have there. I see the front gate and it appears the truck and the car are both white in color.
grin.gif

Looks like mods have already been notified to delete your post with the personal info so that's good.

That's the company owner address, feel free to stop by. Lol

For whatever reason the LMM Duramax is known to have low oil pressure when it's hot. I'm talking 12psi and lower. Cruise speed it's 55-60psi. I used the oil stabilizer to thicken it up some at hot idle. Depending on temp it automatically idles up to 800rpm or 875rpm when it's over 100* out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Don't forget the oil cooler. I'm sure you must have one and shouldn't see any excessive oil temps idling in high ambient temps. My trucks do get up around the normal operating oil temp when idling in 110-120f desert heat, but that's about it. Maybe your truck is different, though.

It's a Duramax van. Same LMM engine but very different cooling system and different trans.

Ok, I can totally relate to the concern over the low oil pressure during a hot idle. My Cummins was the same (10-12 psi at hot idle) and only in the low to mid 30 psi at cruise speed. I guess that was one reason why I started using LOS in the first place.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Ok, I can totally relate to the concern over the low oil pressure during a hot idle. My Cummins was the same (10-12 psi at hot idle) and only in the low to mid 30 psi at cruise speed. I guess that was one reason why I started using LOS in the first place.

The Shell X100 series of oils and lubes are mostly for old school hotrods and such. With the iron at a low 4ppm and really no other wear metals, I'd say it's good stuff. My oil pressure overall was up 4-5psi at all temps and speeds. Maybe 12psi isn't an issue, I just feel better seeing 18-19psi at the lowest. And the oil analysis is the proof in the pudding. I'm going to go buy more X100!!!

Another awesome Duramax report, these have to be some of the lowest wear metal producing light duty diesels on the market. Report after report has been posted here with little or noting to see. Nice report.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Another awesome Duramax report, these have to be some of the lowest wear metal producing light duty diesels on the market. Report after report has been posted here with little or noting to see. Nice report.

I've been hooked on Duramax diesels since driving one at NAS Sigonella. Nice to see a fellow P3 guy. I was in VP-26, VP-10, and VPU-1. 👍

Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

I've been hooked on Duramax diesels since driving one at NAS Sigonella. Nice to see a fellow P3 guy. I was in VP-26, VP-10, and VPU-1. 👍

My first Squadron was VP-26! Small world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back