Any PS4 owners experiencing similar issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a PS4 Slim back in April, after 3 weeks of normal use it would power up, work fine then 20 mins later it would shut off. It appeared to be the HDD overheating based on the warmest location on the bottom of the console.

I took it back, swapped it for a new one and purchased the extended gamestop warranty.

As of tonight, I come home from work and power on the TV, then tried the PS4. I noticed it wasn't responding to the controller so I tried manually pressing the power button. Nothing, no blue light or beep indicating a system detected malfunction or anything, it Appears PS4 #2 has a faulty power supply.

I wanna hear from other PS4 slim owners (Slim is rumored to have a staggering high overheating/malfunction rate off the record) Searching Playstation forums confrims it's widespread. Just need a little something to push me out of the denial phase into I demand a refund phase.

Last edited:
Bought mine about first week of last December, and it's used all day every day to stream PSVUE, and I have not had any problems with it.

I have a non slim and no issues. Our cable box, Cox Contour, is supposedly susceptible to overheating due to not enough airflow under it. I put 4 lugnuts under it where the rubber pads were and no issues with overheating. Maybe try something similar? The cable guys were impressed when they saw what I did.

Is it in a properly vented area? I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people shove these things in a TV stand that has no vent at all.

I've never owned a slim but I had the original and had 1,200 hours on BF4 alone just on that one console. Mine never over heated but I remember the first week I had it there was a strange plastic burning smell. I set the thing on a cake pan stand and never had the problem again.

I would personally change the thermal paste but that would "void" your warranty although they have no legal right to do so. By law they can't void a warranty over a sticker being removed but you would have to take them to court and they would do all they can to make it expensive.

I have a bad habit of buying older generation consoles broken and selling them at cost when I've fixed them. It's just a stupid hobby of mine that keeps me busy. The slim use's less power tho so it shouldn't increase the power supplies temp unless they went cheap and used lower end component's.

From an aesthetic point of view the blower styled fans work well as the "can" move air and also be made low profile. The only downside is the move very little air and are not that effective.

I'm willing to bet they did not add a secondary fan to improve air flow. The old PS3's had a blower style fan that also cooled the power supply by forcing preheated air through it. Was never that effective to begin with and adding a 20mil fan wouldn't hurt even a second one could help. In the case of the PS3 the RSX and Cell Processor over heated pretty much on every edition (even under great condition) except the super slim.

I've spent a great deal of time on my PS3 cooling it and it's done well. I've removed the heat spreader's on the RSX and Cell Processor and replaced the white silicon based dTIM with a liquid metal paste. Added Thermal Grizzly Kronaught on the heat spreaders and even under intense load and some well placed vent holes hardly gets warm to the touch (with the exception of the power supply).

I'm going to give it to my grandson for his next birthday and I think he will love it.

Also sorry I know this isn't much related but I kinda get carried away when it comes to electronics and engineering...

Time to chuck the PS4 and buy an Xbone. After the 360 debacle, they overdid the cooling system. We have an original PS4, but if the PS4 slim is anything like the PS3 slim, then cooling issues and performance degradation are going to be the norm.

Countless hours and updates on my day-one Xbone and no issues.

I bought mine literally around the same time you did in April OP, mine hasn't given me any trouble what so ever and I do help your situation gets resolved quickly my friend

I purchased my PS4 Slim back in April too, and have put about 100 hours into Skyrim Special Edition on it without a single hiccup. It stays absolutely cool and silent, I'm completely delighted with the system.

I got the Uncharged 4 bundle, although the Uncharted game is still sealed because I hope to trade it in towards Fallout 4 once I eventually get bored of leveling-up my Nord.

I hope you get yours straightened out...it sounds like you may have got a lemon. Could you possibly still exchange it?

I have no clue what's going on with it. Honestly just waiting for it to act up again. I have the PS4 sitting on plastic organizer that sits 3 drawers high. 1-2 feet away from the wall and tv stand. Even more room on the side and front for cool air to flow through.

I held off on current gen for this exact reason. I had a 360 that would red ring every year and a half no matter how much I played it, almost lost faith in consoles until I traded it for PS3. If I do take it back then I'll just get refund and stick with last gen.

I doubt it's a cooling issue, it sounds like it's just a manufacturing defect of some kind...the internal power supply perhaps.

I'm not a huge gamer myself, but from what I understand Sony has many of the best exclusive titles licensed for the PS4 this generation. Why not just exchange it while you still can so you can stop worrying about it?

I'm just not too thrilled with current gen. 75% of my games are remasters. On second thought I'll trade it in towards a Wii U and travel back to Hyrule.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Can't argue with that, our Wii U still get's used pretty heavily and has been rock solid.

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
I'm just not too thrilled with current gen. 75% of my games are remasters. On second thought I'll trade it in towards a Wii U and travel back to Hyrule.
smile.gif

The Switch is amazing, and I can't put down Breath of the Wild!
Originally Posted By: W3DRK
Can't argue with that, our Wii U still get's used pretty heavily and has been rock solid.
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
smile.gif

Turns out it's a feature of my surge protector. It did the same thing today after a nearby lighting strike so I flipped the protector off and back on and the ps4 fired right up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back