Mobil1 vs. Wix XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I realize that neither of these filters are the darlings here on BITOG, but I was shopping Rock Auto tonight. Rock's choices for a premium filter for my 2001 Volvo V70XC and 2010 Prius (not in signature, 155K Miles) are limited to these two choices plus their own store brand. I've run out of filters for the Volvo and need to order soon.

The Volvo has enjoyed life on the OEM Mann Austria filters, but I suspect that there could be something better now that I am extending the OCI. Likewise the Prius started life with a 5k OCI, was later back spec'd for 10k, but I believe it could easily go 20k.

I would like to hear your thoughts on filter options for 12-20k OCI's on these vehicles. For those of you not familiar with these vehicles, the filters are cartridge replacement vs. full metal can. For some reason this makes a difference; Fram Ultra Guards are priced out of this world. Look at the bright side: I do not need to cut open these filters to see what is going on with them.

Some Wix tech rep said that Wix XP is rated only 50% at 20 microns but I'm not sure if this is true. If it's true, it's not for me. However, it would be good for extremely long OCIs if the efficiency is that low, given that it's a full synthetic.

Mobil 1 EP oil filter is a synthetic blend. That's why it's not as popular as Fram Ultra. If you can find the old version (without the A suffix), it's more efficient. In any case it's more efficient than 50% at 20 microns.

I use all three of these filters - but the Wix XP on my transmission where I don't think single pass ratings mean as much.
The blend of synthetic and natural fiber does not bother me - M1 has some of the thickest and toughest media - and if a canister type it's built like a tank.

I also looked at fram ultras for my t6 it was 26 dollars or so at walmart. So instead i bought a bunch of oem manns from rockauto on wholesale (for a dollar something each) and dumped in some 5w30 amsoil signature.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Some Wix tech rep said that Wix XP is rated only 50% at 20 microns but I'm not sure if this is true.

Why wouldn't their stated efficiency be true if it's coming directly from WIX? You think WIX knows it's actually better, but they just tell the consumer it's not because they don't want to sell XPs - LoL.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Superflop
I also looked at fram ultras for my t6 it was 26 dollars or so at walmart. So instead i bought a bunch of oem manns from rockauto on wholesale (for a dollar something each) and dumped in some 5w30 amsoil signature.

Sorry sir, but "dumped" is a term more suited for lesser oils. Amsoil is "poured" at the least.
grin.gif

I have also heard the XP doesn't have a high filter efficiency, at least initially. Considering that many OEM Toyota filters also have a 50% rating I would not hesitate to run the XP - especially since it has been shown that filter efficiency increases as an OCI progresses and they are rated for 15k miles.

M1 filters are good quality filters but I do not know if they are rated for the mileage you are considering.

I would definitely work my way up to those long filter intervals to make sure the filter can take it-I didn't run 20K on the first Ultra I tried, I did 8K & then 10K to see how it held up.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Superflop

Sorry sir, but "dumped" is a term more suited for lesser oils. Amsoil is "poured" at the least.
grin.gif

I have also heard the XP doesn't have a high filter efficiency, at least initially. Considering that many OEM Toyota filters also have a 50% rating I would not hesitate to run the XP - especially since it has been shown that filter efficiency increases as an OCI progresses and they are rated for 15k miles.

M1 filters are good quality filters but I do not know if they are rated for the mileage you are considering.

And shaken, not stirred, before pouring... ;^)

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Okay, I realize that neither of these filters are the darlings here on BITOG, but I was shopping Rock Auto tonight. Rock's choices for a premium filter for my 2001 Volvo V70XC and 2010 Prius (not in signature, 155K Miles) are limited to these two choices plus their own store brand. I've run out of filters for the Volvo and need to order soon.

The Volvo has enjoyed life on the OEM Mann Austria filters, but I suspect that there could be something better now that I am extending the OCI. Likewise the Prius started life with a 5k OCI, was later back spec'd for 10k, but I believe it could easily go 20k.

I would like to hear your thoughts on filter options for 12-20k OCI's on these vehicles. For those of you not familiar with these vehicles, the filters are cartridge replacement vs. full metal can. For some reason this makes a difference; Fram Ultra Guards are priced out of this world. Look at the bright side: I do not need to cut open these filters to see what is going on with them.

What's wrong with the Mann filter for the Volvo? They are good for European change intervals of up to 30,000 km.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would definitely work my way up to those long filter intervals to make sure the filter can take it-I didn't run 20K on the first Ultra I tried, I did 8K & then 10K to see how it held up.

If the engine is clean inside - have NO fear!

I just ran 15,000 on a Fram Tough Guard (clean engine)
The filter looked like it was near new.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

I just looked at RA, and they have a Mann, a Mahle, etc, for all the 2001 Volvo V70 engine options.
Now, they are not listed under "Premium" heading, but they are excellent choices, and will do the manufacturers OCI with ease.
The two you mention would be OK if that is the way you want to go. Just not sure if they are up to a long OEM OCI.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
What's wrong with the Mann filter for the Volvo? They are good for European change intervals of up to 30,000 km.

I made a mistake in the original post: I've been running the Mahle filters made in Austria, which are supposed to be identical to the OEM filter. I was not aware that these were meant for extended drain intervals as they use a basic paper media.

The pictures of the Wix filter look encouraging, but it is surprising that there is no specification for efficiency.

Volvo OEM oil filter was top-rated by a Finnish magazine in February 2003 (60% weight for efficiency, 30% for capacity, and 10% for ease of use):

http://tos.pp.fi/koukku/suodattimet/olju.pdf

I don't know why their efficiency numbers are so low. It's perhaps the testing methodology, even though they use the standard ISO 4548-12 test?

These days they probably have more efficient oil filters and chances are that Fram Ultra, Purolator Boss, Mobil 1 EP, etc. are better. Or why not the good old Purolator or Wix/Napa Gold?
wink.gif

I'd trust Wix before I'd trust Fram, Champ, or Purolator with cartridge filters. A lot of aftermarket cartridges are poorly designed or poorly manufactured, and many are a bit too long and buckle in service.

That said, the M1 may be cheaper if you buy at AAP when they have M1 + filter on sale. But Napa Platinum is on sale this month. $8.99 for spin-ons, higher for cartridges (but still about 30% off the regular price)

And if it matters, the M1 is made in the US now, but most places will have the old stock from China. Wix XP/Napa Platinum cartridhges are made in Poland. Compare that to Mahle (Austria) or Mann (Spain).

My choice would be to run Mann or Mahle for 10k.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
And if it matters, the M1 is made in the US now...

Yes, it certainly does matter.

I would take the Poland made filter as equal to Spain, Austria, or US's. Especially since Poland stopped the Ottoman {Muslim} Turks advance into Europe at Vienna and are now one of only 3 EU countries not performing suicide by political correctness ( Czech Republic and Hungary are the other 2}.

Romania is good at manufacturing certain things too ... Cameron has a state of the art factory there

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

If the engine is clean inside - have NO fear!

I just ran 15,000 on a Fram Tough Guard (clean engine)
The filter looked like it was near new.
The part that would concern me (a little) is a long run on an Ultra cartridge filter-they don't seem as bulletproof as the spin-on ones, there have been isolated reports of media separating on them. That's why I would try a standard OCI at first, even with a clean engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back