Too much music in movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know, stupid rant. Was watching documentary on Isle of Man TT and it is informative and entertaining but there is constant music. Violins plucked, piano tapped like your typical Apple commercial, enough! Want to hear the motorbikes! Overly dramatized, doesn't need it! The TT is dramatic all on its own. Liam Neeson should have had at least 5 espresso before narrating. He sounds almost as lifeless as the robot voice on answering machines of yore.
For the record, I do not dislike Apple or Liam Neeson, I just want anything associated with motorsport to be presented with a more raw appeal. There is no CGI, it's real, motorsport does not need audio props! It's not an i8! More controversy! By the way, I'd really like to have an i8 of my own.
I must stop. Soon.
There are plenty of other movies where it seems there is more parts with music than without. Sometimes when things are exploding I need to hear explosions not tuba blasts or French horn rumblings.
I decided to post this without careful self editing. I do not wish to offend, although my manner could certainly be construed as offensive, with apologies.
Thanks for reading.

Watch "No Country For Old Men" if you have not seen it already...no soundtrack to speak of.
Possibly one of the reasons why it is one of my favorite movies.
It was on Netflix as of a few months ago, not sure about the current status.

Background music is taking over the world. Can't find a radio sports update on the latest results without a musical score in the background.

Completely agree on this. I hate having that constant stream of instructions about how to feel.

Soundtracks are like condiments. If you need them, then what you're consuming probably isn't very good. And if what you're consuming IS good, they need to be used VERY judiciously or they just get in the way.

Agree with your thoughts. Sometimes the "background" music is louder than the dialogue which is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Watch "No Country For Old Men" if you have not seen it already...no soundtrack to speak of.

I don't know what it is about that movie, but I can't stop watching it, and I never get sick of it...it has a strange feel to it that's intriguing...kind of like the Fargo series...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't know what it is about that movie, but I can't stop watching it, and I never get sick of it...it has a strange feel to it that's intriguing...kind of like the Fargo series...

I have watched it at least 10 times and it just doesn't get old for me. I thought the title was weird and ignored the movie until I saw it in a WalMart bin for $5...I was totally absorbed by it two minutes in. I also find the unconventional ending to be near perfection.

I recommend reading the novel if you haven't, the Sheriff Bell character is fleshed out quite a bit...gives us a much better understanding as to why he feels that God has a poor opinion of him as he states in his discussion with Ellis. This movie ended up making me a big fan of Cormac McCarthy and I have now read most of his published works.

"No Country for Old Men" is a great example of a great movie without extraneous music. I have to admit that I'm happy knowing that I'm not alone! Thanks for the responses.

My daughter was in a softball playoff game last weekend and the "press box" was an extension of the dugout her team used, so we sat right near it.
There was pop music blasting from this spot nonstop, to the point of them only turning it down somewhat when the teams were being announced...I guess they did shut it off for the Star Spangled Banner.
It drove my wife and I nuts, and even my daughter didn't like it. It's not just old fogies who don't like our nonstop noise society!

It's not really "music." Just a lot of banging, whooping and screeching. Hasn't been what one could call music since the seventies.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: silverrat
A Tarantino movie wouldn't be a Tarantino movie without the soundtrack
I agree.
Some movies could do with less. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Quentin uses actual music that was written as a song long before the movie was created. He does a great job selecting existing music.

I have watched it at least 10 times and it just doesn't get old for me. I thought the title was weird and ignored the movie until I saw it in a WalMart bin for $5...I was totally absorbed by it two minutes in. I also find the unconventional ending to be near perfection.

I recommend reading the novel if you haven't, the Sheriff Bell character is fleshed out quite a bit...gives us a much better understanding as to why he feels that God has a poor opinion of him as he states in his discussion with Ellis. This movie ended up making me a big fan of Cormac McCarthy and I have now read most of his published works.

CM has a great quote in one of his books that I think about daily:

"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."

IIRC It seems to be isolated to mainly a Hollywood thing, as many European movies I've seen do not have this problem. Heck, the only time you hear "music" is between scenes.

And I agree with the "condiment" message above. The only reason why you need it is to instruct you how to "feel". IMHO, Some of the best actors can do this without the use of sound effects/background music.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
Agree with your thoughts. Sometimes the "background" music is louder than the dialogue which is ridiculous.

I agree, sometimes I have to turn on close caption to follow the dialogue.

I've reread the book many, many times.

As an audio guy, I agree. Far too much noise being substituted for 'music'. Many, many people are very uncomfortable with silence. Makes them anxious.

Equally annoying are the drum tracks being played in the background of radio announcements, sports scores, etc. Whose idea is that??

I'm with The Grinch on this one: "Noise, NOISE, NOISE!"

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: cwing6

I agree, sometimes I have to turn on close caption to follow the dialogue.

I thought it was my audio system, but I suppose not. If I set the volume so the dialogue is understandable I get deafening music or, in case of action movies, explosions. One of the reasons I enjoy older movies more...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

I've reread the book many, many times.

Have you read "Blood Meridian" or any of McCarthy's other novels?
I guess I'd say that BM was my favorite of his after I was done reading it, but I enjoyed "All The Pretty Horses" more while I was reading it, if that makes sense. "Outer Dark" is a strange one, but very thought provoking...I don't think I really "got it", but I still think back to it many months after finishing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back