Denso 143-3199 Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered the referenced filter from a local supplier for a Subaru Impreza that I was working on.

In comparison to the filter that I removed, I was a bit underwhelmed with what I saw. I am finding that Denso's aftermarket air filters for Toyota are very good, but for other makes, they are a hit/miss.

34324755554_426972a64c_b.jpg

34783274830_f4b6c3db75_b.jpg

35128871536_69cde93282_b.jpg

Last edited:
Im going to assume its because Denso is OEM for Toyota but not other makes. Was the Subaru OEM filter alot more then Denso?

Last edited:
I take it you don't like the less-pleats?

The champ filter for my camry looks like the one on the right. Was only $2.30 though.
wink.gif

Denso degraded themselves a couple years ago when they replaced the OE Quality air filters (usually made in Japan or USA) with the FTF air filters (made in China)
mad.gif
31.gif

I received the "Subaru OEM" filter recently. It was made by Denso, and looks like yours. It says it is "made in USA".
I bought the Napa Gold (Wix) filter when I grew impatient waiting for the OEM filter to arrive. It looks very similar, except there is nearly a gap in the felt-like gasket material where it was not placed properly or folded over. It says "made in Poland".

I wasn't impressed by either of these filters. I was expecting a more compliant and rubbery seal.

I think the Denso air filter use a triple ply material so you may see fewer pleats. I've used Denso (used to be Nippon Denso) filters since 1967 when I purchased my first Toyota, the Corona. Build quality was better than anything being built by the Big Three who incorrectly concluded that foreign made vehicles were a passing fad.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I think the Denso air filter use a triple ply material so you may see fewer pleats. I've used Denso (used to be Nippon Denso) filters since 1967 when I purchased my first Toyota, the Corona. Build quality was better than anything being built by the Big Three who incorrectly concluded that foreign made vehicles were a passing fad.

That's what they advertise, from the large particle filter on the underside to the small particle filter media on the top side, which is a huge whiteness difference, that you can see on the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back