08 BMW 135i oil questions / advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive an 08 BMW 135i with 104,220 miles currently. Car is tuned and running 4 gallons of E85 to a full tank of fuel (14 gallons). Car was tuned in February of this year and I need a better quality oil, than the BMW HP oil I've been using since day 1. BMW advises 5w-30 or 5w-40 and must meet API SM or higher requirements.I drive on a daily basis, and to and from work is a 36 miles ride and gym after work. I drive normal (under speed limit) in the morning and some spirited driving occasionally here and there on my way home. I live in SOuth Florida and its been getting pretty hot recently. No current car issues.
I need a good premium oil and money is no factor at all. I've picked out a couple and some don't meet LL-01 requirements and some are LL-04 certified. I don't wish to go to 5w-40 due to powerloss.
Let me know what you guys think.
Myles

Last edited by a moderator:
Power loss? Given that an xw30 and xw40 oils meeting ll-01 spec have nearly identical HT/HS viscosity, all the power loss is mostly in your head.
smile.gif

My vote is for Castrol Edge 0w40.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Interestingly, neither Castrol nor Mobil 1 recommend a product that is sold in the states for that vehicle. Apparently, there aren't a lot of oils sold in the states that meet the BMW Longlife-1 standard.

Go to website and look at Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 credentials - probably have to get from Amazon ...

That was per Mobil at the Mobil 1 oil selector for that year, make & model. Same with Castrol. Both indicate they don't have a product for OP's vehicle here in the states. I'm not a Pennzoil fanboy, they just happen to list one that matches his required spec that's available in the States.

I don't see a reason to spend a fortune on engine oil, 10W30 CK-4/SN gets my vote.
At drain time, the 10W30 will quite likely have a post permanent shear HTHS higher than the above mentioned pcmo 0W40s
The Noack will be lower, the flash point higher, meaning it will likely handle the Florida heat better and its a third of the cost.
So you can do 3 oil changes for the price of one.

If it were my car, it would already have mobil 1330 in the sump.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I don't see a reason to spend a fortune on engine oil, 10W30 CK-4/SN gets my vote.
At drain time, the 10W30 will quite likely have a post permanent shear HTHS higher than the above mentioned pcmo 0W40s
The Noack will be lower, the flash point higher, meaning it will likely handle the Florida heat better and its a third of the cost.

Edge 0w40 has noack of around 9%. Which mineral mobil 10w30 has that?
Also, edge 0w40 costs $25 per jug. Are u saying the ck-4 oil costs $8 per 5qt jug?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: userfriendly

Edge 0w40 has noack of around 9%. Which mineral mobil 10w30 has that?
Also, edge 0w40 costs $25 per jug. Are u saying the ck-4 oil costs $8 per 5qt jug?

Hey man, not everyone gets it. Castrol Edge 0W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 FS are two of the finest oils available period, and at a cost that is equal or even less than inferior products.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Hey man, not everyone gets it. Castrol Edge 0W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 FS are two of the finest oils available period

SynPower 0W-40 isn't too bad either, using it myself right now.

Originally Posted By: Nrok83

Car was tuned in February of this year and I need a better quality oil, than the BMW HP oil I've been using since day 1.

I guess it would also be interesting to understand why you think there is something wrong with the BMW oil or why it's insufficient. I believe SOPUS is their current supplier.

If you don't care about the LL-01 approval, Redline 5w-30 could be another potential candidate.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Hey man, not everyone gets it. Castrol Edge 0W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 FS are two of the finest oils available period, and at a cost that is equal or even less than inferior products.

At $10-$13 per jug on sale with or without rebates, it's hard to go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Nrok83

I need a good premium oil and money is no factor at all.

When money is no factor at all, for some reason, I think of Motul. How about Motul 8100 Eco-clean+ 5W-30. Since it's not an LL oil, you'll need to change it more often, but you did say money is no factor at all. Testing the oil (Blackstone labs is popular here - you did say money is no factor at all...) will demonstrate when you need to change it. Pay particular attention to fuel dilution. I think that's the problem BMW is trying to address with the LL requirement.

I have no experience with BMWs (or Motul oils - too rich for my pay grade), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The very knowledgeable members here are recommending Castrol 0w-40. I would take their advice.

Thank you everyone for your input and feedback. Castrol Edge 0w-40 was on my list too, but I did read on 2 seperate occasions that this European formula isn't made overseas anymore. Can anyone clarify this for me? Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned Motul.
Myles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back