keeping a collector car outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been toying with the idea of getting an old car but dont have a garage only a driveway. Has anyone had an old car they keep putside. Keep in mind I am in NJ. I would cover as long as car is clean(even if I washed it after each trip. Concerned about pitting of chrome, condensation under chassis(driveway paved) I would like input from others who have done this with success first hand. I am not talking show car, just a real nice driver....Please keep on topic not dont do it, rent a space etc....not trying to be rude but these posts always seem to go sideways....

Generally if you don't drive it constantly your brakes will rust up. Without being in salt the rest of the care should hold up ok. You will get marks on it from the rain. All I can say is to get a good waterproof cover for it and drive it on nice days often. At the very least tires need to be covered so they don't rot in the sun. I would have to say though I've seen plenty of people in this situation put a small aluminum carport up. If I were you I'd look into putting one of those in your driveway.

I had to do that at times when I had more than 1 collector car. And it really bothered me knowing my '69 GTX and/or "69 Super Bees were sitting outside under high quality car covers + heavy duty tarp over that. No matter how I did it, moisture and/or condensation would get through to the exterior paint. But, they did an ok job keeping moisture away from undercarriage, interior, and engine bay. I only did it for 1 year at a time so hard to say what the long term effects would be. With a large tarp as the outer layer, your tires/brakes and undercarriage are protected.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably set up a fairly durable portable car port to keep most of the rain/weather away. Some fairly rugged, light-weight units might only run $200-$300. In the heavy snow though some of those just might tip over or lose the roof if you don't get the snow off quick enough.

I'd be less worried about the winter where a tarp over a car cover could be easily swept after each storm. And condensation is not much of an issue from 10-45 deg F winter weather in NJ. During the months of April to November you have to be quick to get the cover off to dry from time to time. I'd put some plump old pillow between layers to help the tarp drain off the bulk of the water. I had a $200 California Car Cover and a 30ft x 20ft tarp. Even though they say the Car Cover is "all weather" and "breathable" they let considerable water in and take a while to dry once wet. When I went to overnight car shows at Carlisle or Englishtown, I always brought both layers. I think a breathable car cover is best or you end up with pockets of condensation that won't go away very quickly. If you want a second cover to put over that as waterproofing, that's fine. Any time I was expecting good weather for a few days I'd expose the car cover, let it dry, then expose the car for a bit to ensure it dried everywhere. My best car always stayed in the garage.

Having done it both ways without a portable car port, I'd say it's quite doable. At times it's a pain to keep up on everything. But, that's the price to pay if you want a collector car. Fwiw, my latest daily driver car has been sitting outside for the past 8 years. And I've seen fairly little degradation on the paint, engine bay, and undercarriage. Constantly removing and installing covers/tarps can put more lines in your paint, especially when that cover is not 100% perfectly free of grit, sand, debris, etc. You can always get a fabric liner of sorts that goes under the car cover for roof, hood, and trunk lid protection. But over time, the car picks up dirt from the air and/or road....and some of that finds its way into your covers. I like the portable car port idea though and probably would have done it if I had no garage. They sell car "bags" that you can drive into for winter for 4-6 month storage. Never liked that idea since I try to get my cars out at least every 1-4 weeks all during the year...if the roads and weather accommodate.

You state twice in your post that you wish to be told that this is a good idea / can work, and you specifically say that you don't want to hear "no". Why bother posting?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
You state twice in your post that you wish to be told that this is a good idea / can work, and you specifically say that you don't want to hear "no". Why bother posting?

I guess they wanted to hear from those who did it and how it worked out. If the really didn't care about inputs, they wouldn't have posted at all.

Most of the pitting of the chrome rear bumper and trim in that area comes from the exhaust fumes. Ensure you wipe down those surfaces after every ride. Pitting of the pot metal trim is somewhat unavoidable. Best you can is try to keep a strong layer of wax on them. The paint on these cars tends to be pretty durable imo (whether original paint or restored). If issues appear, it tends to be from the base metal oxidizing and working its way up into the paint from below.

Not an issue, I have multiple cars, park them under a covercraft NOAH and a 2nd coverking stormproof.
I do a full detail and then put them away. pull the battery or have a tender.

It is funny, I used the Noah and a light cover craft exterior cover, since upgraded to the coverking, but amazing how the UV bleaches the covers and failure mode is the stitching or the fabric just tears.

You will get about 5yrs for the outside cover. per moisture, these breath so they dont hold moisture.
keep the car clean before you put the cover on, secure under the car with piece of rope and tension with a bungy. if mice, dryer sheets inside, red crushed pepper sprinkled around outside. also spray formula 303 facric/convertible top protector once a year on the outside cover.

One issue you may have is that all the classic car insurers will expect you to keep the car in a locked garage.

Terrible idea. Objects it to theft/vandalism, weather, and all sorts of things that'll bring down the car's value while increasing your operating expenses.

My only input is to get a good paint protection on there. Wax or some kind of coating. My Mercedes was garage kept its whole life and the paint looked good when I got it. Couple years outside and its toast.
I suggest at least a carport.

Most cars have been repainted in urethane which makes indoor storage somewhat less critical. Many frame off restorations have powder coated or por encapsulated frames as well that will insulate them from rust.

My perspective is that its disheartening to spend all day washing and waxing then come out the next morning to find it caked with pollen. Just trashed.

I've developed a terrible attitude about the whole thing driving them around filthy. I even show up at the car shows with a dirty car. It'll beat the analretentiveness right out of you.

With a proper car cover and a tarp, you won't come out to find your collector car covered in pollen and dirt. UV exposure has something to do with paint too. Outside exposure in sunny Texas is nothing like New Jersey. As long as I've waxed my outside cars up here in the Northeast, and park them in the shade when possible, they have done fine....8 years and counting on my current...and it's got 15 yr old factory paint to boot.

I have no answer for the lack of a locked garage to earn the low insurance premiums for collector cars. That part is true. And you will also need one assigned car for every adult in your home (so 3 cars total if married to get a collector policy).

I've known a guy for 10+ years keeps his mid-late 70's Corvette outside under a cover. He has it out nearly every nice weekend in the summer which I am sure helps though.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Terrible idea. Objects it to theft/vandalism, weather, and all sorts of things that'll bring down the car's value while increasing your operating expenses.

This is your answer. I extend this thinking to all my vehicles. If I do not have a garage bay available, then I will not own the vehicle.

Like others said it can be done. I too live in Jersey. I guess the real answer is what the vehicle is, its value and its shape. If its a high end car with a huge value , it makes no sense to ruin its value over time being outside but if its a driver quality car and not a crazy high value, being outside under a good cover wont hurt it too much. Life is short, enjoy it.

Car cover will scratch the be-jesus out of your paint. I don't care what kind of cover it is.

Closest I've come is keeping my tractor in a 10x20 shelterlogic car shelter. Keeps the rain and sun off and if you get serious about anchoring it, stands up to wind as well. Also then you just park it normally and don't mess around with covers until winter, so you'll drive it more. So if it will work at your place, that's what I'd recommend.
It heats up but if you put in some gable vents it would help, or I was entering from the north so I just left the door off.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

I guess they wanted to hear from those who did it and how it worked out. If the really didn't care about inputs, they wouldn't have posted at all.

Most of the pitting of the chrome rear bumper and trim in that area comes from the exhaust fumes. Ensure you wipe down those surfaces after every ride. Pitting of the pot metal trim is somewhat unavoidable. Best you can is try to keep a strong layer of wax on them. The paint on these cars tends to be pretty durable imo (whether original paint or restored). If issues appear, it tends to be from the base metal oxidizing and working its way up into the paint from below.

Thanks 69GTX and all the others who gave some constructive input. Some people know everything about everything. I wish I was so smart.

Last edited:
For my garaged cars, the car covers came off and on 2X to 3X per week from April-November. None of them were perfect-paint #1 show cars. But for #2/#3 driver quality and worth $20K to $35K each, I won my share of trophies and best in class/best in show over a 10 yr period. If the car cover put more hairlines or scratches in my paint, I wasn't ever aware of it. Some of those were orig paint cars in acrylic enamel, others probably in lacquer. With some of those paint jobs 10-25 yrs old, you're never going to notice a new hairline. Now on my 1999 Camaro with 18K miles, I can attest that most any rough movement with the car cover will add fresh hairlines. Clear coats seem quite susceptible.

What the car cover will do is help you break antennae. I've done that twice yanking car covers off w/o thinking.

That is what I was talking about a nice driver I could have some fun. I sent you a pm of a car that is really talking to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back