2006 Lincoln Zephyr - Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering buying this car . It is tied up in the dealer's shop awaiting parts for the air bag recall .

Wondering if all the Dexos 5w-30 Synthetic I have bought up for the Chevy Sonic , would be OK for the Lincoln .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted By: earlyre
it's a 3.0l Duratech engine. spec is 6qts of 5w20, and an FL-820s

Interesting that the spec is for such a large oil filter.... the trend nowadays is going smaller...

Especially when the bigger V8 trucks spec the AC Delco PF63/FL-500S (about 2/3 the size of the FL-820S) and the PF48 (maybe half the size!)

Of course, the FL-500S size is kind of phasing out the FL-820S

I have the 2010 version of that duratec 3.0. I run 10w-30. It's specd for 5w-20 because of cafe but will run the 5w-30 quite happily. Change the PCV valve when it starts consuming a lot of oil. Consider keeping a 30wt in it.

What wt. does the oil cap say? If it's 5-20 then I would use M1 0-20 AFE. I have used it for years and it perform and protects very well, even at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
it's a 3.0l Duratech engine. spec is 6qts of 5w20, and an FL-820s

5w30 will work just fine.

Good to know , of course I have not purchased it , yet .

I live in south central USA and , for instance , we have been having a few 100F degree days lately . So , I am guessing the 5W-30 would not bee too " thick " ? Winter temps only go below 10F a few days in the winter . Rarely below 0F .

Surprised at it holding 6 quarts of oil . Not that I object . FL-820s is the filter ? Motocraft part # ?

I used to change oil every 3000 miles with conventional oil . With synthetic , I have not been exceeding 5000 miles with the little red Chevy Sonic .

I have been buying Mobil Super Synthetic or Mobil 1 , which ever Advance Auto Parts had on sale .

I recently bought 24 quarts of the NAPA Dexos Synthetic , when it was on sale . Have not started to use it , yet .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

Last edited:
The only risk you run going from the spec'd Xw20 to an Xw30 is that a certain percentage of engines might throw an occasional code for slow variable cam timing response on the thicker oil. Mopars (Pentastar V6 and the later "Eagle" 5.7 Hemi) seem to do that more than Phords, but I've heard of both. If it happens, no harm or permanent damage happens. Just put Xw20 in the next time.

I run 5w30 in my Lincoln and everything else I have that is spec'd for a 20 grade. Not one whit of operational difference don't hesitate to use it.

Ford is now spec'ing 30 grades for the descendants of that engine anyway due to twin turbos, so even Ford thinks a 30 won't hurt a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back