Y'all willing to pay European prices for gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The savings wont be worth the price at the pump. Just how 94 octane doesnt help my car by much if anything at all. Difference in price from 87 to 91 here is 16 cents per liter...say approx 64 cents a gallon...13.5% more in price for what in return? Better for the govt to make more money with no real benefit for us.

Europe and Japan use RON
América uses AKI

Two different formulas. 98 octane in Europe is 94aki

besides, here in America we have better gas standards, so I doubt they are getting their money's worth. Now, if we actually made super fuel efficient cars, it would be worth it

To answer your question, yes. It would force people to use less fossil fuels. That would be good for the earth and my young children.

Y'all willing to read "industry news" written by an ignoramus who doesn't know the difference between US and European systems?

Imagine his next article: a sixty percent improvement in range for the same car, just by switching to The Metric System!

You used to go 300 miles on a tank, now go 500 KM! An amazing 60% improvement in range just by switching to European standards!

Wow!
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
To answer your question, yes. It would force people to use less fossil fuels. That would be good for the earth and my young children.

You first.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil

Honestly I'm tired of being forced to do things that someone else decides for me.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
Now, if we actually made super fuel efficient cars, it would be worth it

They do. What planet have you been living on?

Well, European gas prices are not all that much more than here. One has to keep in mind that European governments pile on a baggage load of taxes on fuel at the pump. Not sure why would need their fuel to get the performance. E85 fuel is already 100 octane equivalent. Just many of the performance cars that could benefit from it are not set up for it in the ECM.

The idiot who wrote the article apparently didn't bother to understand the meaning of octane. Most cars will not gain one bit of gas mileage by using a higher octane.
Higher octane is only needed in engines with higher compression ratios.
Lower octane gasoline is more volatile and will predetinate under a higher pressure.
Yes, engines with higher compressions will have more power and be more efficient....but you car is not likely to have that. So that higher octane is simply worthless.

Edit.... Okay I'm an idiot for not reading the article more thoroughly.
He does talk about the higher compression engines.

Last edited:
Marketing subterfuge.
Economies of scale. Wouldn't it be nice to manufacture a couple of grades of gasoline compared to all different types of grades that need to be shipped to certain parts of the world? 87 octane not as popular as it once was, and has less profit margin. 91 octane U.S.(or 95 octane Europe) is the low grade gas in Europe. If a manufacturer has to produce a bunch of 91 octane for Europe and everywhere else, why not just make it the low grade here too. Skip the cost of separate 87 production and shipping. It's the same reason car manufacturers share platforms, reduce cost.
The problem with E85 is that it relies on government subsidization(is that a word?)to keep the price low.
Barrel of oil price is low as TiredTucker implies, but the cost for the consumer over there is still high.
Some cars do have sensors that can take advantage of up to 100 octane(U.S. rating).
In the end, it's good marketing, take the focus away from what's happening and shift the blame of higher cost to the consumer to somewhere or someone else. Still going to happen.
How many articles have I read where the consumer is warned that higher octane fuel is not needed for their vehicle? I'm guilty of this too and I know better! The demand is there.

Nope never, I have family in Germany and a good friend in Finland. I know all to well how much they pay for a liter of gas as its pretty much the first thing we mention when we get a chance to talk.

My good buddy Jalmari was furious when I told him gas prices where down to $1.52 a gallon (last year).

They can raise the price of fuel for pretty much any reason.

They could care less about an article like this....

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Nope never, I have family in Germany and a good friend in Finland. I know all to well how much they pay for a liter of gas as its pretty much the first thing we mention when we get a chance to talk.

My good buddy Jalmari was furious when I told him gas prices where down to $1.52 a gallon (last year).

Agreed

There would be far fewer cars on the road in N America if gas prices were equivalent to those in Europe.

I would happily pay more at the pump for Top Tier Ethanol free fuel.

The thing is that article is kind of misleading, but most people would scream. One thing I learned when I was an auto tech is most people, at least in this country, Know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

If it cost Johhny Reb and extra 4 dollars to fill his pickup truck he would be even more enraged than he already is. The extra 4 dollars can go towards important things such as a pack of reds or lottery tickets.

Where I live you see alot of people driving 50k pickup trucks, with lift kits and huge tires and rims, oh I almost forgot the tuner, and yet while they spent all that money rednecking it out, they SCREAM about gas prices. On top of that, many of them do not maintain the trucks very well and when they fix something they use cheapest possible substandard Chinese parts.

I find it extremely amusing when one of these types wont quit complaining about fuel prices, yet they blow raw diesel fuel out of the exhaust constantly.....

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

There would be far fewer cars on the road in N America if gas prices were equivalent to those in Europe.

And maybe people would drive a bit more sensibly. Right now its Gas, Brake, Honk, Gas gas gas, brake, gas, brake.....

This article is poorly written and makes little sense. Difference between Eurosuper and NA counterparts isn't about octane rating. Octane rating is similar. Main difference is overall quality of finished fuel (sulphur level, detergent level).

Main difference in price is coming from heavy taxes in EU, but also from higher manufacturing expenses. Bonus is that you will loose rotten eggs smell in car parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back