Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 6,377 15' Sonata 2.4L GDI 59k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here's the UOA for my 2015 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L GDI engine. Took the sample right after a 400 mile road trip, only additive was at the first tank with this oil change (or before, can't remember) and I used Techron fuel system cleaner.

Pennzoil Ultra used is the non-natural gas SN formula. Used an OEM filter.

244ebh3.png

that's a good and comforting report; especially since Hyundai calls for an OCI of somehwere between 3000-4000 for some or all of their GDI engines.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that's a good and comforting report; especially since Hyundai calls for an OCI of somehwere between 3000-4000 for some or all of their GDI engines.
The 2.4L calls for 3,750 for severe service or 7,500 for normal service. I think 7,500 will be a good changing point from here on out. Maybe I'll keep it shorter since my stash is all < $1 per quart.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Looks good. Does Hyundai still recommend 30 grade oils in their vehicles? I thought most manufacturers switched to 20 grades...
Owner's manual calls for 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30. They're pretty lenient.

It'll never see a 5w20 or 0w20 though.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Ever consider an xW40 at 10k OCI ?

Sure I'd consider it, but I typically only buy oil that's on clearance. The Pennzoil Ultra I paid $1 per quart for a few years back. The Mobil 1 that's in it now was $2 a quart I believe. Same as my Camry's last oil change and my Jeep's was $1 per quart.

Should have added, it idles for at least 1/2 an hour everyday, sometimes close to an hour. But it also gets driven at least 70 miles a day. Idling is usually at the 1/2 way point through the day. This car is also GDI so I'm glad it didn't have fuel in the oil.

What color was the oil sample?
Just curious since we have the same engine and by then oil get very dark no matter what brand I use.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
What color was the oil sample?
Just curious since we have the same engine and by then oil get very dark no matter what brand I use.

It gets pretty dark but definitely not black. Doesn't stay as honey colored as most cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back