Genuine Kia/Hyundai oil filter 5650 mi cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning BITOG faithful filter examiner's. Changed the oil on my friends 2016 Kia Soul for the second time today removing the Peak Conventional 10w30 and Genuine Kia/Hyundai filter that I installed about 2 months and 5650 miles ago. He uses the car as his daily driver as well as working as an UBER driver evenings and weekends for extra cash. I'm not sure how much the car sits and idles as he waits for fares but I'm certain he doesn't turn it off between rides in the summer heat here in Florida.

Car was refilled with another dose of conventional 10w30 Peak oil and another genuine Kia/Hyundai filter and he plans to run it another ~5,000 miles.

Enjoy the pics.

I wish we know the effiency of those filters. I ran them on my elantra for the first few changes. One thing is how heavy the filter is compared to after market. I don't know if its the base plate, or the can thickness, but they do weigh more.

Of note there was significantly less carbon in this filter than the previous Motorcraft filter that I removed and cut, likely due to to him putting on a lot of miles in a hurry.

Also the OEM filter is built like a tank, the can is made from much thicker material than the previous MC filter. Which is part of the reason I used an OEM filter with the known oil pressure spike issues of the Hyundai and Kia engines. I'm not sure if this particular engine is affected or not but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Overall I'm very pleased with the quality of this filter and I purchased 6 of them off eBay for about $4ea delivered. For that money I will continue using them on his car as long as I'm servicing it for him.

Plan is to continue using the Peak oil until I run out as it allows me to offer him a $20 oil change with an OEM filter and still make $10 for myself.

Stop changing new filters
33.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wish we know the effiency of those filters. I ran them on my elantra for the first few changes. One thing is how heavy the filter is compared to after market. I don't know if its the base plate, or the can thickness, but they do weigh more.

As I mentioned in my post immediately after yours, I use them for the oil pressure spike issues. The way I look at it I'm willing to accept an unknown efficiency filter that can withstand the pressure spikes over a filter I dont know will hold up. Efficiency is irrelevant if the oil pressure spikes and ruptures the filter and empties the engine. Pick your poison I suppose. I choose unknown efficiency for piece of mind that it will hold up against a possible oil pressure excursion.

Looks high quality. I like the Hyundai logo on the relief valve, That's a nice touch.

I wonder why there is a paint mark inside the filter can, I assume its from QC? If so was it inspected by a human? Hmm...

Toyota and Honda better watch out, IMHO they have been slipping and Hyundai/Kia has been doing better and better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
33.gif

Not sure how this is changing a "new" filter? His usage is arguably bordering on severe service according to Kia's maintenancesschedule which would call for 3,750 OCI normal service is 7,500. We opted to split the difference at 5,000.

Kia does not give the option of retaining the oil filter for 2x OCI.

Could it have gone longer? Probably. But the car is a tool for him to make money and the current maintenance schedule I think is prudent and conservative on conventional oil considering his usage.

Feel free to use your own filters longer. Or I can send you his USED filters after he's done with them if you'd like.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
33.gif

Feel free to use your own filters longer. Or I can send you his USED filters after he's done with them if you'd like.

Hey Clark, if you don't mind can you put me on that used filter list? I wouldnt mind having a few of those myself.

- Says Cousin Eddie.

P.S. If you send me that hardly used filter you took off and cut open I can weld it up and run it another 5k.
J/K

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Looks high quality. I like the Hyundai logo on the relief valve, That's a nice touch.

I wonder why there is a paint mark inside the filter can, I assume its from QC? If so was it inspected by a human? Hmm...

Toyota and Honda better watch out, IMHO they have been slipping and Hyundai/Kia has been doing better and better.

I thought the logo on the bypass valve was a nice touch too. Perhaps a method to help discourage counterfeiting which is rampant in the region of manufacture. I can't comment on the origin of the paint mark inside the can but your guess is probably correct. Overall a well built filter with acknowledged unknown efficiency. Still a good value for the price point and from a piece of mind standpoint.

Originally Posted By: car51
Can't go wrong with OEM. Better safe than sorry is so true
wink.gif

Thanks Car51, your previous c/p and experience with these filters is part of the reason I bought them for his car. That combined with the tech bulletins posted here about the oil pressure excursions these engines are known to experience.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

This is very true. Hyundai/Kia has been focused on improving quality on an exponential level. It that kind of tenacity that allows companies to take over market share when the big boys become complacent.

Thanks! Gives me peace of mind since I plan on using OEM Filters on my Elantra. Was not aware of the pressure spikes. I was impressed with the quality of the filter. Looked good!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: car51
Can't go wrong with OEM. Better safe than sorry is so true
wink.gif

Thanks Car51, your previous c/p and experience with these filters is part of the reason I bought them for his car. That combined with the tech bulletins posted here about the oil pressure excursions these engines are known to experience.

A few BITOG members mention start up noise when using non OEM oil filter.

One of my customers has a 13 Elantra--with significant start up noise--40 K miles. I used a TG last time, next time it will be the Hyundai/Kia OEM filter to see it it quiets it down
IMO & FWIW you are right on the money for the OCI
Steve

50 microns

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

50 microns

In the absence of a lab report or specs from Kia stating that is nothing but speculation. Also a size by itself does not an efficiency specification make.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

50 microns

I would take the offer to use the used ones, if they fit, but at that efficiency I'll pass. Btw, a little clogging would do some good for filters with that kind of filtering.
Miles and time is all scary stuff and all (not) but the filter and the can show no sign of contamination. It's like asking for more napkins when you didn't use yours in the first place. But I understand those who dare not go outside the box ( man.spec), peice of mind or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back