Fuel economy / power difference 5w30, 0w-30 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the question of fuel economy and power difference when using lighter vs thicker oils

Intended oils to use are per manufactures spec 5W-30 Castrol and I did read a lot of good opinions about specially more euro formula 0w30 and 0w40 , car has DI turbo 2.5 liter engine .

I can use 5w30 Syntec or 0w30 Syntec (made in Belgium) or 0w40 Syntec (made in Belgium) , do you think there will be noticeable fuel economy or engine power feel difference ?

There will always be a difference in MPG when utilizing different grades.
Will you see it or be able to tell?
NO.
I think Castrol 0w30 sounds just right.

If you're comparing A3/B4 oils, each carrying multiple OE cents, (LL01, A40, 502, 229.5) there will be no functional difference between 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, and 5W-40.

the marketting for mobil1 AFE had the claim up to 2% fuel economy savings in fine print they said due to conparison of 0w30 vs 5w30.

most of that would be savings durng your driving during cold starts.
you need to realize that 2% is not going to feel lile very much. over a a tank of fuel thst gets you 300miles you could have now gotten 306miles in best case.

if we assume realistically you get only half the maximum benefit, 1%, you get 303miles out od the tank instead of 300.
if you just changed your driving habits instead you could much more easily save those 3miles per tank.

Last edited:
Hendrick uses thinner oil for qualifying, but not for race conditions. Assuming they do it for more power.

"The blend of oil used during time trials is thinner and lower in viscosity than that used during the actual race. “We use thinner oil when we qualify because it is more effective in the reduction of friction, and it also requires less power from the oil pump to move it through the engine.” Smeltzer says."

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/10068/in-the-garage-with-the-hendrick-engine-tuners

Originally Posted By: M6ser
I can use 5w30 Syntec or 0w30 Syntec (made in Belgium) or 0w40 Syntec (made in Belgium) , do you think there will be noticeable fuel economy or engine power feel difference ?

In Florida? Nope. Use any or all.

Lighter oil has less pumping losses. Will you notice any results? probably not. If the engine is worn you may notice better MPG from a thicker oil due to slightly higher compression and the larger bearing clearances not restricting the thicker oil. My old T100 literally got the best MPG on 15W40 oil.

Real world results, not lab tested, so accept it as you will. 2009 Scion xB with 2.4L Port Injected. On 0w20 oils I get an average of 26mpg. On 0w30/0w40/5w30 oils I average 24mpg. During highway runs 0w20 returns 32-33mpg, and 0w30/5w30/0w40 return 30-31mpg. Consistent results over last 25k+ miles of ownership. Castrol 0w40 - 22mpg average, 29mpg highway.

Oils used:
0w20 - Castrol Magnatec and Valvoline MaxLife.
0w30 - Castrol (Made in Belgium) and Mobil 1.
5w30 - Mobil 1 HM, Castrol EP, Supertech HM, PPHM, PPPU.
0w40 - Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil SRT, Pennzoil Euro.
5w40 - Pennzoil Euro, Carquest Euro.

Yea, I change oil often... Compensating for the waste that many of you prevent by doing extended oil changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
How does the made in Belgium matter?

Made in Belgium is supposed to be true synth oil as opposed to GrIII made in NA.
If difference is like between coffee you get at McDonald's in Europe and USA - you'll know what to buy.

I still see German made 0w-40 SN Castrol oil in local stores and despite no love for Castrol I bought it.

Last edited:
Id say the difference can be felt depending on the engine type. On the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder aygo going from 5w30 fuel eco a5-b5 oil to 5w40 a3-b4 oil i can feel the drag on the engine and there is a measurable mpg loss.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
Originally Posted By: 4WD
How does the made in Belgium matter?

Made in Belgium is supposed to be true synth oil as opposed to GrIII made in NA.
If difference is like between coffee you get at McDonald's in Europe and USA - you'll know what to buy.

I still see German made 0w-40 SN Castrol oil in local stores and despite no love for Castrol I bought it.

You can sell Group III as synthetic in Belgium. No laws against that.

Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40
Passenger Vehicle Lube Mobil, Belgium
Ultimate Performance Synthetic Engine Oil

(Thought I recalled seeing this back when)

Castrol's 0w40 is rather light for 40 weight , closer to 30 than 40 from what i read here. So if OEM specs are for 5w30 running high quality 0w40 that is more like 0w35
smile.gif
should give me better cold starts MPG and my commute is 18 miles twice a day where first 9 miles drivetrain does not reach full operating temp.... so switching to better start up oil should help - is it correct logic ?

I find that my Jaguar X-Type does better with a slightly higher viscosity. So I use M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. MPG improves just slightly. The ultra thin oil does not work all that well in that engine.

But keep in mind, I am in South Florida, where it's warm to hot all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back