Pennzoil 0w-40srt; 5k miles; Scion xB; additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
This OCI was 5k miles. 1k into it I added some MMO (idk why) to the oil. Told Blackstone about it. But I did not tell them that before this OCI I had some "Restore" with the previous fill as top off. And Blackstone lab quickly diagnosed "Restore" leftovers floating in the oil. I AM IMPRESSED!!!

The Oldest UOA was Castrol Magnatec 0w20. Then it was CarQuest 5w40. And the latest UOA is on Pennzoil 0w40 SRT.

The vehicle is 2009 Scion xB. 2AZ-FE Engine with ZERO oil consumption. Blessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that Restore advertises that it has 'CSL' which means Copper, something starting with S, and Lead. It's something you put into a car that has horrible blowby and is fit to be dumped. I wouldn't put it into a car with a meaningful future.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Remember that Restore advertises that it has 'CSL' which means Copper, something starting with S, and Lead. It's something you put into a car that has horrible blowby and is fit to be dumped. I wouldn't put it into a car with a meaningful future.

Yea, at the time of the previous oil change I decided to put 4qts of oil and a bottle of Restore, instead of doing the normal 4.5qts. Not doing it again for sure. Hope no harm was done, but I saw no good out of it either.

Good luck with your car, Vlad! I think it will be ok as long as the stuff is cleaned out. Just use normal oil and let it do its thing.
smile.gif

'CSL', AFAIK, stands for Copper, Silver, and Lead...very fine, soft particles of each.

I've got to admit, though, that it seems to have reduced Fe wear a lot - maybe the 'plating' action of it is a good anti-wear additive?

I've put it in a healthy engine before, and it did no long term harm.

Edit: It isn't silver...but what would it be?

Last edited:
I always wondered whether the metals in the CSL combo in Restore would poison the catalyst on a cat for a car that burns oil. If they banned leaded gasoline since lead binds to catalyst sites and deactivates them for emissions component damage, wouldn't lead in burned oil almost be the same?

Always wanted to try it in this beater but the emissions damage scared me off.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I always wondered whether the metals in the CSL combo in Restore would poison the catalyst on a cat for a car that burns oil. If they banned leaded gasoline since lead binds to catalyst sites and deactivates them for emissions component damage, wouldn't lead in burned oil almost be the same?

Always wanted to try it in this beater but the emissions damage scared me off.

We believe that this is what happened to my buddy's '97 RAM 360ci gas engine. This engine(although maintained very well) always had an excessive amount of blowby. We added RESTORE to each OCI and sure'nough, had to replace the catalytic converter as it was plugged and engine had no power.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why not stick with the the fantabulous Magnetec?
PLEASE, NO ADDITIVES!

Right now I will go through the stash of PPPU that I have in 5w30, 5w40, and 0w40 (both Euro&SRT) and then once that runs out - I will most likely stick to Magnatec 0w20. Really impressed with it. But that switch is still 100+ quarts of oil away from me... And the additives will be eliminated from now on, unless something serious comes up and I have no choice left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back