Magnatec 5W-30, 6900mi, 2014 Cruze 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a mild hypermiler but there was still a lot of stop-and-go traffic to deal with. Next up is 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 Extended Protection to see if it can compete.

Mmm, green bottle from about a year ago. $18 from Amazon. I didn't know they have a full-syn Magnatec

Earlier this year the 5W-30 changed to full synthetic. You used the older synblend.

Solid report - the TBN must have been fine if Blackstone recommended you bump the OCI 2000 miles. Likely the M1 EP will do the 12k with no issues. Thanks for posting.

Yes - from the AZ clearance Magnatec I bought year end - the 20's were synthetic and 30's blend.
New stock is as mentioned ...
I'm betting they had a few complaints wrt the confusion

With a reporrt like that, I'd run the EP to the full advertised 15k before sampling.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
With a reporrt like that, I'd run the EP to the full advertised 15k before sampling.

That's what I'm thinking.

The metal numbers are so low, they could almost have been from the virgin oil, LOL!

15,000 miles will probably be a cake walk.

The one with the green lid - the red lid is way hotter
wink.gif

It means mpg is the goal but I'm not crazy enough to, say, shut off my engine at the top of a hill and bump start it at the bottom.
laugh.gif

I have seen an article on a hypermiler. The money saved pays for the tires, crawling on the freeway but not using brakes at all on the off ramp to use all the inertia to not use accelerator for as long as possible.

Very impressive UOA report, you got 5ppm iron wear in 6900 miles on the Magnatec. The 6500 mile universal average for the 1.8L Ecotec is 19 ppm iron.

The KV100 is 10 cSt, so the oil is still in grade.

Great report, thanks for posting.

Castrol continues to impress, nice report. I remember years ago Castrol had its haters here. These reports seem to have silenced them quite a while ago.

Still some who dislike bp over the GoM incident - IMO not as odd as Valdez - I don't recall any "Mobil" signs on that ship
wink.gif

Problem with some folks here is they have to hate something to like something else when in reality they all have to be good to be in the "running" ...

Great report! The 100c viscosity held in very well, I wonder what the TBN was. I recently did 6400 miles on the synthetic blend 5w30 magnatec, on an 07 cobalt ecotec. TBN was 6 and 100c cst was 10.5.

Could have done thousands more miles.

Magnatec is only $17.88 at Walmart, great deal for this oil.

I wonder if the synthetic magnatec polymers are contributing to this oil holding it's viscosity so well, and reducing iron wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back