10W30 for a Toronto Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Delvac 1 0W40 ESP in our small fleet at work (Cummins ISB, Cat C7, Mercedes 906) in the winter and 15W40 in the summer.

If I used Delvac 1300 10W30, will the engines be adversely affected during cold starts in winter? We might get about five days in a winter where the temperature drops below -20C. It never drops below -25C. We do not use block heaters. The engines have always started up easily with the 0W40.

I'd probably stick to the 0W40 in the winter. Did you ever try running the 0W40 all year?

Check out the pour point and CC viscosity. the next oil change in my Cummins will be PetroCan Duron 10w30 semi synthetic. It was dirt cheap for something made and purchased in Canada and its cold properties look quite decent.

I doubt you will run into any issues with a 10w30 in your climate. I know many of people that have been running conventional 15w40 in their modern diesels out on the prairies for years with out any issues.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I have been using Delvac 1 0W40 ESP in our small fleet at work (Cummins ISB, Cat C7, Mercedes 906) in the winter and 15W40 in the summer.

If I used Delvac 1300 10W30, will the engines be adversely affected during cold starts in winter? We might get about five days in a winter where the temperature drops below -20C. It never drops below -25C. We do not use block heaters. The engines have always started up easily with the 0W40.

I would use a 5w-30. It gets too cold during the winter in Toronto to use 10w-30 and expect good cold starts.

Last edited:
I cannot find a diesel 5W30 at a reasonable price.. We have an account at work with Noco and pay just over $7/l for the 0W40 and they wanted over $10/l for the Delvac 1 LE 5W30.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd probably stick to the 0W40 in the winter. Did you ever try running the 0W40 all year?

The Mercedes 906 has a large sump, at 26 litres, and I only change the oil once a year. Every November it gets a fill of the 0w40 ESP. Its UOA results have been excellent.

I paid 4.5$ a liter tax in per liter of 10w30. They were asking 6-7 a liter before tax for the 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40 PC oils. This was at the bulk dealer. Not fleet price.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The Mercedes 906 has a large sump, at 26 litres, and I only change the oil once a year. Every November it gets a fill of the 0w40 ESP. Its UOA results have been excellent.

thumbsup2.gif

How cold does it get in Toronto? Too many people here think they are going to experience a Day After Tomorrow sort of event followed by a Baja 1000 run full of dust and extremely high temperatures.

I personally think a 10w30 would be fine.

Can you get Rotella T5 10W30 up there for a reasonable price? It has a very low pour point of -42C., actually as good or better than some 5W40 oils, and is very cheap here in the USA-I just bought 5 gallons from Auto Zone this week, it'll be -$2 US if the rebates come through.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
I know many of people that have been running conventional 15w-40 in their modern diesels out on the prairies for years with out any issues.

^^ This ^^

Given the availability, I'd run cheap 15W-40 in the summers and switch to the more expensive 0w-40 or 5w-40 in the winter

Stay with this routine.

I Googled the conversion to F -20C = -4 F, -25C = -10 F. My friend in Mississauga compares Toronto to Boston MA climate wise. It is due to Lake Ontario and the Atlantic's effect on climate. When I was observing a 3K mile OCI, I would run 10w40 from Dec- April. One morning, I started the BMW at - 17 F , -27C. I did let it warm up for 5 minutes before I drove. The last few years, I have just added a pint of MMO to the 4L sump and that has been working. Note: this is in a 2.7L gas engine. YMMV

Is the Delvac 1 not 5w40?
Seems Garak et al get better prices on D1 than we do ... and hard to find - my boss just ordered off Amazon for new PSD

When you factor in the Canadian dollar trading at 74 cents USD, prices up here are pretty good.
Mobil synthetics are best bought from Esso/Mobil bulk dealers.
Seven C$/L for Duron synthetic is just over $5 USD/qt., but you can't walk in and spend $7 on one liter.
Just like shopping at Costco, you go in intending on spending $100 and leave with $400 less in your pocket.

These guys serve BC. www.coolcreek.ca

Toronto weather - we spent 5 hours round tripping de-ice for a 3 hour flight ...

I forgot to mention, our local Cat dealer Toromont Cat, uses Rotella 10W30 winter and summer. They think 10W30 is fine for the winter.

Not quite sure why anyone would want to abuse a diesel by not using a block heater or something in the cold of winter. I use 10w30 in winter and 15w40 in summer in my diesels.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not quite sure why anyone would want to abuse a diesel by not using a block heater or something in the cold of winter. I use 10w30 in winter and 15w40 in summer in my diesels.

Totally agree. Mine is really grumpy if it has to start with only the grid heater after sitting out at 0F. The block heater makes it so much nicer to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back