T6 and the Ford diesel oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Shell and talked to one of the tech guys about T6 and the Ford spec. He said they are working on getting the oil approved and Ford is just about to release the engine test specs needed to meet the spec. He inferred that Ford was about to publish the details soon for the oil companies like Shell.

I then asked how the 15 or 20 oil companies that make 5W40 already got their oil approved and on the Ford approved list if Ford does not have the engine test specs available yet.

I am not sure there is any new news here, seem more contradictory than new news.

But is does seem Shell is working hard to get the T6 on the Ford approved list whatever that takes.

I asked him if he had a Ford truck under warranty what would be use. He said one of the Shell Tx oils on the approved list. There are 3.

My personal history with Shell Rotella is a under-performer in in heavy duty diesel applications, per UOA data vs. other oils I had UOA data from. Same engines, same duty cycle, same hours.

There is a wide variety of HDEO available on the Ford approved list thats readily available, if I were you I would pick an oil and run it, if you're concerned UOA and share with us.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I called Shell and talked to one of the tech guys about T6 and the Ford spec. He said they are working on getting the oil approved and Ford is just about to release the engine test specs needed to meet the spec. He inferred that Ford was about to publish the details soon for the oil companies like Shell.

Ford sure timed things well with the CK-4 rollout, didn't they. Sheesh. Someone there fell asleep at his desk.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I then asked how the 15 or 20 oil companies that make 5W40 already got their oil approved and on the Ford approved list if Ford does not have the engine test specs available yet.

I am not sure there is any new news here, seem more contradictory than new news.

But is does seem Shell is working hard to get the T6 on the Ford approved list whatever that takes.

I asked him if he had a Ford truck under warranty what would be use. He said one of the Shell Tx oils on the approved list. There are 3.

Donald - if you can, see if you can get Shell to divulge just what it is that concerns Ford in terms of "wear". I've repeatedly tried to get Ford sources to say just what it is that that causes CK-4 to be unacceptable to them, and I get nothing back. However, if you can get the Shell person to get some inside info, we might be better informed. IE - is it valve-train wear? Bearing wear? Etc? Where at? How bad? Etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back