Originally Posted By: CT8
Whichever oil meets the manufacturers specs. It is that simple Oil is oil

I can't agree with that.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Whichever oil meets the manufacturers specs. It is that simple Oil is oil
+1

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SR5
I would feel nervous pushing these oils beyond 10,000 - 12,000 miles without a UOA to back me up.

Not when it's using oil - - the add pack is constantly being replenished.

If you are correct, and you probably are, then a UOA should back this up and confirm it's all working.
But I still suggest a UOA is a prudent investment, mid-OCI, to confirm that everything is going to plan.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I did a 15k UOA on D1 5/40 with my '06 2.4...it was too long even on that oil, was admonished by BlackStone...never less til the day I sold recently it never used any oil.

TBN too low? Wear metals high? What was the issue, I'm curious.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
'06 2.4 not known to be a burner..I had this engine and in FL. would run Mobil 1 T4 10/40 with 640:1 TCW-3 in the fuel. After 10k you'll have a good clean Toyota engine.

do this...with the TCW-3.

Iron was high (68ppm) but that OCI was through a complete winter here..the D1 CJ-4 is no longer available so sort of a moot point now, but the 2.4 Toyota is not easy on oil either.

I have the 05 Camry with the same engine and about the same oil consumption...I just stocked up on end-of-year/end of jug-design closeout synthetic...5w-30 Penn Platinum at $2/qt (no rebate here, after having to fight rebate central twice for my $10).

I just pour in a 1 quart @ 2k and 4k miles and change the oil and filter at about 6k miles.
I probably could leave the filter in there for 2 OCIs, but it's just too much of nothing to worry about...

I bring it to the dealer and for $20 they change my oil with either their filter or mine (I alternate Toyo's and mine bought on sale). That's about $38/syn every 6k miles OCI how ever many months it takes to do 6k miles...for the past couple of years it's been about 10 months.

I suppose if I drove 20+k miles a year I'd feel inconvenienced to have to add oil, but if I did run that many miles, most would be on the highway where oil quality is diminished the least, and so I'd likely stretch the OCI to 10k (@ $42/OCI)...but...

I change oil every 6k miles because most of those miles are short-run trips around town. I'm confident that adding 2 quarts over those 6k miles mixes in enough additives to keep the oil fresh for a 6k OCI.

I'm probably being overly conservative here, but for as cheap as oil is, I just don't see the need to stretch an OCI past 6k, let alone past 10k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back