Is Beach area of DE still part of rust belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roads south of Dover DE do not look all beat up so I am thinking a less severe winter than Albany NY and maybe no salt is spread. Many of the main roads are concrete vs blacktop.

Looking at the Lewes area for retirement home.

Anyone live around that area?

I've got family in Lewes - wonderful area. You're right about winter. Anywhere will be an improvement in your tax situation...that includes DE...

While they don't salt the roads, any time you're within a few miles of the beach, you get accelerated corrosion from the salt in the air. Not as bad as NY, but still not as good as further inland, or say, Arizona.

Nice area. Choose it for the quality of life, low taxes, and beach...and the rust belt part will be in improvement for you, too...

Last edited:
DE is listed as a "retirement friendly" state for many reasons. The property taxes for a year would be what I pay a month in NY. Need to be "drive-able" to the northeast for family visits. We both want to be near water.

Also we are a multi-racial couple. Cannot have wife live in an area where she would be uncomfortable. So that limits how far south we go.

Rusting of vehicle (or not) would be an added benefit.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also we are a multi-racial couple. Cannot have wife live in an area where she would be uncomfortable. So that limits how far south we go.

That's one of the most offensive things I've read in a while.

You wouldn't fit in well in the South because of YOUR prejudice. Your attitude toward your potential neighbors is offensive.

They wouldn't like a smug, self-righteous, and frankly, ignorant "Yankee"

Perhaps you should stay in New York, where you can find false confirmation and social support of your bias against entire groups of people. You'll be a lot happier among people of "like mind". People who think "correctly".

You certainly don't want to move anywhere and have your preconceptions challenged.

Sheesh...

To help you understand how you just characterized millions of people, let's see how this sounds, ".., but my wife is an educated woman, I wouldn't want her to be uncomfortable, so we couldn't live in New York."

How about this, "but my wife cares about other people, so that limits us from moving to New England."

Get the idea?

You stereotyped the South with your comments. Stereotyping people is, in and of itself, biased and intolerant. Further, your stereotype is ugly, you insinuated the south is full of racists who will not accept you.

That is patently false. It is offensive that you think so. It is even more offensive that you would express the idea without realizing just how insulting you've been

Last edited:
Gee, don't candy coat it Astro. Tell us what you really think about it!

J/K. My wife and I are a multi-racial couple and I can't think of anywhere it's been an issue. Possibly because even though I can be a complete a**, she is perhaps the nicest person in the free world. Haven't been treated differently in the North or South.

Now that I think about it, there is one time when her car was new, and we appeared to be "profiled" by a California Highway Patrol Officer who was driving in a dangerous and provocative manner that appeared to be designed to get me to do something illegal in order to justify him pulling us over. But that's a different story.

You can throw around all the indignation you want. Bottom line it's true. I like cutting through the baloney.

It's different in a lot of ways down in the deep south. You don't want to be gay down there either.

You don't want to look at someone the wrong way either. It's a harsh human environment. I grew up in Louisiana so I have some personal experience with this. They're just now changing some of the Mardi gras pecking orders. You couldn't ride a float unless your great grandfather owned slaves.

Then MS and AL are way worse.

I know. I know. I'm way off base. I just know I never want to live down there ever again in this lifetime.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with where you are headed with that line of thinking. In this world there are people who no matter their color, no matter their background, no matter their personal history can be thought of has offensive. It just depends on the individual's point of view as to what they find offensive. This is certainly not just relegated to the South. It is everywhere. And for different ideological reasons.

Property tax is only one side of the equation. You need to look at all possible taxes when considering this move. Do you have a NY pension? That'll be taxed differently out of state.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

You wouldn't fit in well in the South because of YOUR prejudice. Your attitude toward your potential neighbors is offensive.

Perhaps you should stay in New York, where you can find false confirmation and social support of your bias against entire groups of people. You'll be a lot happier among people of "like mind". People who think "correctly".

You certainly don't want to move anywhere and have your preconceptions challenged.

Sheesh...

This is 15 years ago but my wife a very liberal New Englander had a hard time with some folks in rural Texas (travelling PT) and her ex boyfriend was a Nigerian with a mixed race child not hers. Lots of comments and judgements drove her away from backward thinking beyond the break up. That all being said she is quite tainted from her 5 years in Texas and Oklahoma.

I presume everywhere is more tolerant now but my wife still has no interest in moving there.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Sheesh...

My wife notices racist things like looks or remarks that go right over me. This happens in NY as well as other places. I believe it happens all the time, and most white people never notice. My wife is offended by the confederate flag. It never was a big deal to me. But I see her point.

I did not mean to turn this into a discussion on racism.

My wife notices racist things like looks or remarks that go right over me. This happens in NY as well as other places. I believe it happens all the time, and most white people never notice. My wife is offended by the confederate flag. It never was a big deal to me. But I see her point.

I did not mean to turn this into a discussion on racism.

Your wife shouldn't live anyplace she feels she won't be comfortable, period!
And I think she has a better idea of what it's like to deal with people's reactions to her than anybody getting all righteous, hot, and bothered on this site.

What I've noticed about the southeast is that there are less racists than other parts of the country, but the racist that exist there seem to be more extreme about it.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Take a look at Ocean Pines, MD. It's just across the DE state line. And it seems that Astro14 is really the intolerant one.

Actually, you're too far south for his wife to be comfortable, because all you people in North Carolina are, well you're...

You know...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You can throw around all the indignation you want. Bottom line it's true. I like cutting through the baloney.

It's different in a lot of ways down in the deep south. You don't want to be gay down there either.

You don't want to look at someone the wrong way either. It's a harsh human environment. I grew up in Louisiana so I have some personal experience with this. They're just now changing some of the Mardi gras pecking orders. You couldn't ride a float unless your great grandfather owned slaves.

Then MS and AL are way worse.

I know. I know. I'm way off base. I just know I never want to live down there ever again in this lifetime.l

I suppose it's equally true that condescension increases the farther North one goes...right?

I won't sugar coat it...self-righteousness seems to be coming from the Northerners in this thread. The Northerners, who don't live here, "know" that people in the South are racist.

Virtus Probi "knows" it. You "know" it. The OP "knows" it.

Funny how people in one region of the country (where I was born and grew up, by the way) just "know" that folks in the South are, what, deplorable? Racist?

Not up to the high standards of tolerance in their region?

Which they demonstrate by stereotyping (which IS being intolerant) of the southerners?

Really?

Having been born in Connecticut, but having lived in another country, as well as the West, Texas, the deep South, and now the Mid-Atlantic, I can say from experience that it's unfair to stereotype people in a region.

Donald, if you didn't want this to turn into a discussion of how Southerners are racist, then why did YOU bring it up at all?

Last edited:
I won't comment about the racial discussion but I do know living near the coast is bad for the car. My truck is covered in surface rust on the frame and bolts due to spending just one year in a coastal city. This is a truck that spent it's whole life in San Antonio Texas except that one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back