So I tuned Tahoe with Diablo Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned off "fuel managemnet", the 4-cyl mode. Tuned for 91 Octane and some other things like removed the speed limit, some tranny shift optimizations.

Thus far, a little better, smoother, a bit more power. No exciting fireworks.

I wish the Tahoe came with 3.73 gears instead of 3.42 that are highway-optimized for economy.

Well worth the 260 tokens I spend on the Diablo tuner.

Wow. You were able to deactivate the AFM with this? I'm currently using a plug in module but I have to unplug it once a month and for a few days before an inspection. Not the end of the world, but I'd rather just program it out.

I fueled up with 89 Octane, thinking the tuner would come with the 89 Octane tune.
No such luck, it goes from 87-91-93. No 89 option. All gas in my area, almost all does not offer 91. I think I will fill up with 93 mixed in with 89, should average out to 91.
Supposedly going to straight 93 is also OK. what is not OK is tuning for 93 and then filling up with a lower octane.

I added some Octane booster to boost my 89 octane into 90 or 91, not sure how that will end. It's just one tank of gas. thus far no pinging.

Minor improvements all around, smoother and more responsive shifts. It's the cheapest way to get some benefits out of it.

Did the tune change the throttle response at all?

I don't like the 5.3L, it's a slug.

I liked the 6.0L / 3.73 gears combo a lot more, it was a fast vehicle with it but it was very thirsty. I got about 10 in the city and not much more on the highway, 13MPG maybe.

I get about 16mpg in the city and over 20MPG on the highway. I used to last 180 miles per tank to 3/4 full, now 300 miles easily to 3/4 full - and that's the same 26 gallon tank.

I do wish I had 3.73 gears instead of economy 3.42.

I am thinking about the 93 Octane tune, what that might accomplish performance-wise. I can get 93 anywhere, but 91 Oct is not bad.

Biggest thing was turning off that stupid 4-cyl mode. Tranny shifting.

I wish I didn't have to send my 2016 Wrangler computer out to be unlocked, or get a replacement computer to use a tune. I'd love to reprogram the fans to come on before 226F. I'd leave everything else alone.

I had a super chip tuner on my 08. Turned off AFM and ran a 87 tune. Drove much smoother and really woke it up. I agree with having 3.73s over 3.42s. Towing was much nicer with bigger gears.

Originally Posted By: pacem
I liked the 6.0L / 3.73 gears combo a lot more, it was a fast vehicle with it but it was very thirsty. I got about 10 in the city and not much more on the highway, 13MPG maybe.

I get about 16mpg in the city and over 20MPG on the highway. I used to last 180 miles per tank to 3/4 full, now 300 miles easily to 3/4 full - and that's the same 26 gallon tank.

I do wish I had 3.73 gears instead of economy 3.42.

I am thinking about the 93 Octane tune, what that might accomplish performance-wise. I can get 93 anywhere, but 91 Oct is not bad.

Biggest thing was turning off that stupid 4-cyl mode. Tranny shifting.

THat is crazy low mileage for the 6.0L. I have the 6.2L and 3.73 gears and I average about 13mpg with E85 on my daily commute. I can pull 15+ on the highway with E85, and 18-20 if I am using premium with no corn juice. The real advantage of the 3.73 gears is the posi! It can do some fun stuff off road!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wish I didn't have to send my 2016 Wrangler computer out to be unlocked, or get a replacement computer to use a tune. I'd love to reprogram the fans to come on before 226F. I'd leave everything else alone.

I imagine there isn't such a thing for the Pentastar, but on the 3.8 Wranglers you could get a fan clutch kit for it.

I bet you could also wire in a dummy relay and then an additional fan controller so the computer thinks its turning on the fan when it wants.

You should have went Blackbear Performance tuning my friend.

They can get rid of AFM, all of the abuse nannies, reduce torque management, change shift point and firmness, change the tow haul mode and do a tune the engine and transmission specifically to what you want out of your truck. They only do GM.

I did the mildest traditional tune on my 2003 GMC Sierra from Blackbear and it changed it to a different machine. Totally woke it up by releasing all the GM dialed out horsepower and torque to be usable in everyday life and in towing. The first time I romped on the accelerator, I knew it was different. It takes off the line with all the power it was meant to and shifts with a bark in the shift to 2nd. Driving around town it is mild yet responsive with quicker shifts. I will restate that this was the mildest 87 octane tune.

To top it all off I am getting 2-3 mpg BETTER than before.

Last edited:
I fueled up with 89 Octane, thinking the tuner would come with the 89 Octane tune.
No such luck, it goes from 87-91-93. No 89 option. All gas in my area, almost all does not offer 91. I think I will fill up with 93 mixed in with 89, should average out to 91.
Supposedly going to straight 93 is also OK. what is not OK is tuning for 93 and then filling up with a lower octane.

I added some Octane booster to boost my 89 octane into 90 or 91, not sure how that will end. It's just one tank of gas. thus far no pinging.

Minor improvements all around, smoother and more responsive shifts. It's the cheapest way to get some benefits out of it.

When in doubt about the quality of the gasoline, whether or not the octane levels are sufficient, etc. you can use the tuner to generate datalogs while driving that can help answer those questions, verify assumptions, etc.

I am not familiar with the specific PIDs for the GM PCM, but anything related to KR (STKR and LTKR), throttle position, spark advance, and the like should be the minimum set of PIDs to record. Be sure to record the datalogs while performing all manner of driving, e.g. 0-60mph runs, stop-and-go traffic, hiway cruising, etc. If KR is observed, look for patterns to the spikes such as only at WOT (and in what RPM ranges) or immediately after long bouts of stop and go.

It will take some work to gather all the data you need, but eventually you should have a pretty complete picture of how the engine is handling the loaded tune and the provided gasoline (as in, "handling everything well", or "too much KR, something's not right, need to step down to cooler tune...").

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I imagine there isn't such a thing for the Pentastar, but on the 3.8 Wranglers you could get a fan clutch kit for it.

I bet you could also wire in a dummy relay and then an additional fan controller so the computer thinks its turning on the fan when it wants.

At the moment there is nothing for the Pentastar unfortunately. I was toying with putting a push fan in front of the radiator set up to come on at about 200F. There isn't much space. I doubt it would help, because of the size of the fan that would fit in the space. I was also looking into your dummy relay/fan controller idea, but in all honesty auto electric is not one of my strong points, and I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram yet. Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, the Pentastar runs a bit too hot for 'my' liking.

I'm using a Diablo tune on my Sierra Denali 6.0L. Been on in about 2 years and I like it, works well but no ball of major fireworks. I plan on a proper re-tune in the future but for now - the Diablo does what I want.

BB would be ideal but you have to send them the PCM, endure downtime.. I have the tool that I can either resell or use over and over again. I am satisfied with the results.
It's not running as well as it can right now because I got the wrong octane in the gas tank.

The Diablo person told me that the 91/93 tune are one and the same for that vehicle. So I should feed it 93 instead of 89.

BB would be ideal but you have to send them the PCM, endure downtime.. I have the tool that I can either resell or use over and over again. I am satisfied with the results.
It's not running as well as it can right now because I got the wrong octane in the gas tank.

The Diablo person told me that the 91/93 tune are one and the same for that vehicle. So I should feed it 93 instead of 89.

If the 91 and 93 tunes are identical they should bee grouped together in a 'low 90s tune'. Giving the same thing two different names can mislead consumers to believe they are getting separate products when in fact they are not.

Very platform specific. Diablosport makes some of the most versatile tuners out there, but each mfgr has different software and control strategies so the adjustable parameters can vary wildly from platform to platform...

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I wouldn't trust a canned tune if you're planning on keeping this vehicle for any length of time.

Been running one in my sig car for almost a decade. Myself and thousands of other owners of similar vehicles agree they are fantastic bang for the buck.

Each platform is different, thus you mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back