I ran my whole house water filters one year.

That reminds me, it's been a few months since I've changed mine... I usually go until the water seems to drop in pressure. I get far more grit in mine though than you show, like the bottom quarter will be full. I'd change it more often but it's a pain--old setup, getting hard to turn. We do use a Brita for drinking water though.

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to move and get onto town water and sewer; but those aren't free either.

Question: The wife and I are downsizing (empty nesters) and building our first home. Both the current home and the new one are on the same utility water/sewer system that has decent results from testing and tastes OK. Would you folks still recommend a dual whole house filter (pre-filter for sediment, carbon filter for finishing) of some sort? What about a simple "EZ-Water" type system (just asking, don't flame me please)? We don't have a water softener now and really don't think we need one on the utility water but I could be convinced otherwise. The issue would be the physical space of such a bit unit like that. Anyway, just curious what the peanut-gallery would say/recommend.

We have well water with one filter similar to those in the OP that filters to 25 microns. It takes a ton of iron out of the water, it's bright orange when I change it. Our water tastes great.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Question: The wife and I are downsizing (empty nesters) and building our first home. Both the current home and the new one are on the same utility water/sewer system that has decent results from testing and tastes OK. Would you folks still recommend a dual whole house filter (pre-filter for sediment, carbon filter for finishing) of some sort? What about a simple "EZ-Water" type system (just asking, don't flame me please)? We don't have a water softener now and really don't think we need one on the utility water but I could be convinced otherwise. The issue would be the physical space of such a bit unit like that. Anyway, just curious what the peanut-gallery would say/recommend.

What kind of water is it? Well, lake or river?

Do you know the hardness? When we were on a municipal well we needed a filter and softener. When I was serviced by lake Michigan water I never seen a need for a filter or softener. My in laws had river water and they didn't have a filter or softener and it was OK.

If you are happy with your current water quality I would say no, you don't need a filter. But it would be better to add it now if it's new construction.

Last edited:
Yuck, thats a nasty filter. Our municipal water (which comes from a well that taps an aquifer) is not that bad, but there is sediment from the iron distribution pipes that we catch in ours. Its a good reminder that I need to do ours. If I was on top of things, Id change based upon the water meter reading (cu yds) but I just do it when I remember.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yuck, that is why I'll never own a house with well water.

Our last house had a well, drilled 170 feet or so, pvc casing, About 6-7 miles from here, the water there was much better. I filtered it, but it had little iron in it and not much sediment.

So not all well water is this bad, but some is even worse than ours!

Dumb question--just noticed--did you really print off a label, from a labelmaker, for labeling date of install? I'm impressed.

Originally Posted By: supton
Dumb question--just noticed--did you really print off a label, from a labelmaker, for labeling date of install? I'm impressed.

Yes, I printed that label off using a Brother label maker. I use the label maker for dating almost everything from oil change intervals to the date that I put batteries in our kit cat clock.

I have always liked keeping very specific track of time intervals on service items for some reason. My writing is terrible so I use the label maker instead, I find it much more pleasing to look at than my chicken scratch...lol

Thanks for the compliment! Some may think it's Ocd, or eccentric, but hey what can I say, it makes me feel good....

Well... you get the idea.

Fwiw, I grease the mower about every 10 hours now, so I don't document it any longer.

Last edited:

You might be surprised. A lot of municipal water systems either come from wells or have wells in addition to other sources.

Honestly I'd rather have well water compared to the nasty city water we have here. So much iron and calcium, I've done gone through a Kureg and espresso maker, even with regular cleanings. Frequently clogs up the regulator. Not to mention the chlorine...

Labeling is OCD but very functional. My wife asked for (and got) a label maker one Christmas. Someday I should ask for one too.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
It would be good if you added a vortex filter or two to save on filters and efficiency, and then low pleat filters and then carbon and dupont nylon block filters.

Back