How believable are mpg numbers shown by Ultragauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few weeks ago I did a fuel mileage 'test' in my 2000 Corolla. My dad is always doing these tests where he'll run a car out of fuel on the highway, put a gallon of fuel in the tank and drive til it runs out again. I know, stupid way to measure mpg's but this is the test I did, just to see what would happen. I ran the car out, put 1 gallon in the tank then drove off. I drove not with fuel conservation in mind but not ripping it up either, in other words I drove just as I normally would, even passing people. I ran out (on a small incline) again at 53 kilometers (as measured by my GPS) and my Ultragauge said I used 0.9 gallons. This was with me, my dad (he weighs 200 lbs and I outweigh him by a lot) and my 2 85lb dogs with the rear windows rolled down half way. Is that good?

not a good test.

Fill gas tank. note mileage
drive car several hundred miles.

refill gas tank. divide miles by gallons.

repeat over 1000 miles or so.. compare to ultragauge to see how accurate it is.

10% accuracy is fairly terrible but you might be able to dial it in a little more.

I admire your mind for science. Don't let the haters hate.

Maybe do a 5 gallon can next time. There's a "slosh factor."

Whoa, that seems like a terrible way of calculating mileage. Do what Rand suggests. Pump until it clicks, drive some distance, go back to the same pump and pump until it clicks again. Divide the distance traveled by the amount of gas pumped.

The only reason I'd run down a tank is to try figure out how much reserve capacity the tank has once the light comes on.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

The only reason I'd run down a tank is to try figure out how much reserve capacity the tank has once the light comes on.

That was the other reason I did that test on that day. When I started out from home, my low fuel light had just started to illuminate itself. I drove about 75 kilometers on the highway til it ran out, then I put the gallon in and did the other test

Filling the tank has been the tried and true method but even the weight of the full tank can throw off your mileage it's not a lot but it can add up. If you have a 20 gallon tank that's an extra 110-130 pounds. Even A/C can play a part then you consider aerodynamics. Most cars achieve best mileage at 55mph.

Someone taking a back road doing 45 in cool weather will get better mileage then someone doing 80mph with the A/C on in Texas.

Even if it just takes off 2 miles per gallon it adds up. You also have to consider traffic and your driving style. The longer you travel the better mileage you will get to a certain point due to the vehicle being at full operating temperature.

My old Regal is rated at something like 24-26 highway but I can and have gotten nearly 32mpg with a loaded car going up to Iowa.

A lot of stuff can throw off your mileage so running a empty tank isn't a good measurement as it can burn up the fuel pump but also shows your best case mileage.

Real world samples product real world results.

Last edited:
My torque pro indicates my expedition gives me 24 mpg on hwy withslightly over inflated michelins ltx:)

I use an Ultragauge on one of my vehicles. After I set it up per the instructions, I've found it to be very accurate.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Whoa, that seems like a terrible way of calculating mileage. Do what Rand suggests. Pump until it clicks, drive some distance, go back to the same pump and pump until it clicks again. Divide the distance traveled by the amount of gas pumped.

What will really bake your noodle is the amount of total gas put into your tank if you squeeze the fill pump handle fully until it clicks vs. squeezing the the fill pump handle 30% until it clicks.

The difference can be liters of gas more filled before it clicks if you do the 30% method.

i think epa numbers account for crazy drivers with crazy habbits.
Bitog members are probably drive a lot smarter than most people out there.

Have a Scanguage in one vehicle, but if I change my driving habits (drive harder or softer than what it was calibrated to) it will read wrong. As in, let's say I run a number of tanks (15 gallons or more each time), get the cal factor set so it predicts properly. Then, instead of driving hard like I had been, I start hypermiling. It'll be way off from what I hand calculate on subsequent tanks.

I gave up and left it alone, as it was around 10%. Now it only reads right in winter, on winter gas, on winter tires. The rest of the year I think it predicts lower than what I am actually getting. Kinda gave up on it. Fun toy though.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
My torque pro indicates my expedition gives me 24 mpg on hwy withslightly over inflated michelins ltx:)

Those Expeditions really do get good highway mileage. My sister has one (2012 5.4L) and it gets slightly over 20 on a trip doing 65. Higher speeds really mess the mileage up, though. It usually always gets 10 mpg pulling her 25' camper.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: merconvvv

Those Expeditions really do get good highway mileage. My sister has one (2012 5.4L) and it gets slightly over 20 on a trip doing 65. Higher speeds really mess the mileage up, though. It usually always gets 10 mpg pulling her 25' camper.

I am 70 mph and up. I do take it easy going up hills though. Rack up speed prior to hill. Dont use cruise control. Lately i inflate tires on the plus side. I think 20-22 mpg may actually be more lilke it.
But i will take 24 mpg
smile.gif
I do see mpg numbers drop all way down to 6 mpg with lead foot. So these guages are not completely inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back