best part of plane to sit in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the best passenger in the world, and I really try to stay over the wing, in an exit row if I can swing it, right side window seat. Why the right side? My neck turns a little more readily to the left, so on the right side of the plane I can look toward the front of the cabin, and be less prone to a headache, and on MD88s only 2 seats on that side.

Where do others prefer to sit?

Over the wing (less pitch movement)
left side window.......
I can look out the window, lay head against interior of fuselage,
not be bothered with other passengers getting in and out,
like to look at wing flexing, see any attached aliens,
smoke / fire from engine failures, UFO's, MIG's, clouds,
waves in ocean, rivers, mountains, zeppelins.

First few seats to get off the plane quickly and not be held up by slow passengers. First Class is always nice and sometimes available for upgrade if my brother puts his FF # on my reservation. Then I just ask if they have any openings the day of. If they do and it's not a short flight then they usually bump me up.

If I recall on Alaska's Md-80's(88?)which they no longer fly...the two rows over the wings by the emergency exits had the most leg room as well as the first row behind first class near the front (quiet, good viewing).Can't recall if there was an extra charge for these seats. Not sure what carriers still fly these planes. America and Delta stil had some last time I was recently at the airport

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I'm not the best passenger in the world, and I really try to stay over the wing, in an exit row if I can swing it, right side window seat. Why the right side? My neck turns a little more readily to the left, so on the right side of the plane I can look toward the front of the cabin, and be less prone to a headache, and on MD88s only 2 seats on that side.

Where do others prefer to sit?

I try to sit exactly in the same place as you. For no reason, I just like sitting next to the wing.

Anything forward of the wing 'feels' way more natural. I sat in the last row once and the plane's movements were somewhat unnerving.

That said, my wife and I flew first class once and it ruined me forever. SO worth it.

I flew first class ONCE, and that was only because the Delta L1011(I think) was just about empty (this would have been in the early 80s)and the FA's basically said "sit wherever you want". I was a little kid then and only remember bits and pieces of the situation.

Being of thrifty German stock, I am very price conscious and would have a devil of a time justifying paying for first class.

Someone studied all plane crashes/accidents, and found that you are more likely to survive a plane crash if you sit in the back of the plane, near an exit (on incidents where the entire plane is not destroyed)

Bubbatime makes a great point--we need to define "best". Most survivable is the rear seats.

Generally I prefer an exit row seat for the extra leg room. I'm 6'4" and I need it more than you little guys.
grin.gif

Back before 9/11 if you were polite and it wasn't a training flight, it was sometimes possible to sit up in the cockpit in the jumpseat for takeoff or landing, and that was always cool.

Unless we're talking an aircraft with engines mounted at the rear, sitting close to the wing is generally the noisiest, so if you want the quietest seats, then the front or rear would be best.

If you have a weak bladder, then an aisle seat near the lavs would probably be best.

Every once in a while I'm forced to sit next to a talkative drunk, or someone who wants to yak endlessly about politics. I think the best seat for them would be in the cargo hold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Someone studied all plane crashes/accidents, and found that you are more likely to survive a plane crash if you sit in the back of the plane, near an exit (on incidents where the entire plane is not destroyed)

That is also where the smoking sections used to be in the old days...

Back of the plane. It seems in failed landings, and break apart landings, the tail section holds together a little better. In a plane where everyone dies, it seems like the place you might live.

Any aisle seat closer to the front. The exit row seats are usually empty now on flights because the airlines charge for the extra legroom. I'm sick of the legacy carriers' greed.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Back of the plane. It seems in failed landings, and break apart landings, the tail section holds together a little better. In a plane where everyone dies, it seems like the place you might live.
I'd rather sit in the front and not even think about a crash, because it simply won't happen to me, and if it does, it wouldn't make a lick of difference if I was in the front or back. Statistically impossibly small odds are no basis for making this kind of judgment. The rear of the plane has to sit and wait for ages as people get their bags out and get off the plane. The rear of the plane also gets to wait the longest for customs, and that could mean a very long wait.
I'm more likely to die of extra stress from all the resultant bull hockey of sitting in the back of the plane.

Company flies me business class - so very fortunate especially since it's mostly long haul flights - expectation is arriving rested and go straight to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back