Open House Columbus,Nebraska airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot's of radial engines clanking as seven or so what I call Chinese airplanes flew over in formation this Sunday AM. Found out later one of them was a Yak-52 made in Romania. And then, the gold standard, a P-51 singing that distinct splat,splat splat RR song. Think I'll go over and take a look, just as soon as I finish a few chores. *Gone by the time I got over there--six blocks. Looked at the Chinese and Romanian planes. Didn't look near as good as a Vultee BT-13,even if it didn't have retracts. A Cessna AT-17 looked like it needs some TLC. By far the best looking plane was a yellow Beech Staggerwing whose owner told me last year that it was getting to be too much airplane for him. Lot's of hanger flying (mostly lies) and too hot to stay.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Lot's of hanger flying (mostly lies) ....

Always fun as long as good coffee or cold beer is involved!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
By far the best looking plane was a yellow Beech Staggerwing whose owner told me last year that it was getting to be too much airplane for him.

Sadly, age gets to the best of us...
frown.gif

Entropy is so devastating to us all, but if it wasn't for change none of us and nothing at all would exist so I guess we take it one day at a time and hope this isn't the day we hit the iceberg.

20 years ago, I had the good fortune to watch a Goodyear blimp come in for a landing at Ann Arbor airport. One guy was handling all the questions and gave tours for the open house. There was a big game Saturday for the Michigan Wolverines where the blimp was to help provide coverage.

A Model 17 Beech?
Wow!
A P-51?
Double wow.
A Cessna Bamboo Bomber?
A neat and increasingly rare aircraft.
YAKs made everywhere?
A really neat and surprisingly affordable (to buy) military aircraft.
Sounds like you had a good part of a day.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A Model 17 Beech?
Wow!
A P-51?
Double wow.
A Cessna Bamboo Bomber?
A neat and increasingly rare aircraft.
YAKs made everywhere?
A really neat and surprisingly affordable (to buy) military aircraft.
Sounds like you had a good part of a day.
Right you are. Still a little miffed that I missed the P-51. The Staggerwing owners (they are both pilots) appeared to be doing a lot of hangar flying. It was a little too hot for me to listen in. Nex Monday (6/12) the Union Pacific #844 will stop here for a half hour. Always enjoy be able to get up close to such a complex machine, especially when it is fired up and making all kinds of wonderful mechanical sounds.
smile.gif

I wandered into the California railroad history museum in Sacramento killing time from having arrived in town on a very early flight. Not having grown up in the West I just wasn't prepared for the scale of these large mountain climbing locomotives! There was even a cab-forward full size train that I had never even thought of much less seen. Wish I could see that UP unit. Nothing brings out my inner 10 year old like trains.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I wandered into the California railroad history museum in Sacramento killing time from having arrived in town on a very early flight. Not having grown up in the West I just wasn't prepared for the scale of these large mountain climbing locomotives! There was even a cab-forward full size train that I had never even thought of much less seen. Wish I could see that UP unit. Nothing brings out my inner 10 year old like trains.
The UPRR steam heritage group in Cheyenne is restoring 4014 Big Boy that was obtained from an amusement park in California. In 2019 or 20, that grand old guy is going to rattle our windows as it pulls into Columbus,Nebraska. The 4-8-8-4 locomotives were built by ALCO for the UPRR to use on the main line from Cheyenne to Laramie on Sherman Hill which is the highest point of the transcontinental line.Can't hardly wait. Hope I live that long.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back