G05 topped up with green

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm maintaining a 2005 F150 with the 4.2L V6. Manual specs out Ford Gold (G05?) antifreeze. Coolant level is very low right now but the little bit in the degass bottle looks very much like conventional green. It is possible that P.O. flushed and replaced with green but I suspect it was simply topped up. The little coolant I can see looks to be in good shape with no funky issues. Truck runs with no cooling issues.

At this point, I'm considering either topping up with straight water or 50/50 PGL for a while to monitor for both leaks and coolant sludge/[censored]/condition. If all is well I'd do a drain and fill with PGL before fall. Any thoughts on problems with this plan?

The 4.2L V6 in that truck has been in the F-series since 97 or so. Up until mid 2001 or 2002, Ford was putting conventional green coolant in the F series trucks with that engine, before everything went to Motorcraft Gold.

My previous vehicle was a 2002 F150 and when it was brand new, it came with the green stuff, and I flushed and swapped to Zerex G05 at around 36k miles.

When you say the level is low, do you mean the level in the expansion reservoir? If so, topping up with water will be fine because the rest of the system (that isn't visible) should be full.

I guess what I'm saying is you can top it up with whatever you want because that engine at various points in time has been factory filled with either green or G05.

It would be strange if there was indeed a coolant loss problem as the 4.2L was a very reliable engine after 2001. The early ones (97-00?) did have faulty intake manifold gaskets that led to hydrolock, but a 2005 should be bulletproof with all the kinks worked out.

Last edited:
It's warm outside, so my preferred method is to pull the lower hose and top up with distilled water. (I'm pretty picky about using distilled even for the intermediate steps.) This will allow you to see any sediment, et cetera that drains out. Then you can truly determine if additional drain/fills or a flush chemical might be necessary.

As for coolant choice, I have been using PLL for 5+ years in all sorts of Fords with no failures, even a thermostat
happy2.gif

I just replaced water pump on my 2010 Ranger 2.3. Used the universal, goes with anything anti-freeze. I guess it had the G05 in it, OEM Ford water pump on engine.

Who knows what happened to it if someone else touched it. To make matters worse things like Prestone all makes all models is green in color but essentially a dex cool type coolant.

I'd top up with water if you are going to flush it, if you get everything out with a flush you count use whatever you want it won't matter, it's the mixing that usually causes issues.

[quoteAt this point, I'm considering either topping up with straight water or 50/50 PGL for a while to monitor for both leaks and coolant sludge/[censored]/condition. If all is well I'd do a drain and fill with PGL before fall. Any thoughts on problems with this plan?
____________________][/quote]
Sounds like a good plan. Once you are sure about the cooling system, and ready to change, flush with distilled water. Drain and fill twice, then drain and fill with full strength G-05. Put in 1/2 of the capacity of the system, then top up with DW. This is how I have done it.

What's the difference with coolants?

I change my coolant every 2 years/50,000 miles and just use either cheap Durex green or cheap Super-Tech green and distilled water.

Am I going to mess something up?

I haven't yet.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What's the difference with coolants?

I change my coolant every 2 years/50,000 miles and just use either cheap Durex green or cheap Super-Tech green and distilled water.

Am I going to mess something up?

I haven't yet.

If you are changing every 2 years then you really have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back