Silicone spray for car keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My main car key has wear out over the years. Im using my "new" (never really used before spare key), can i use silicone spray to avoid wearing it down?

Last edited:
There is a great deal of debate about which lube(s), if any, are acceptable for use in a lock.

How many years did it take to wear out the first key? Will the car last long enough to wear out another key? Doesn't it make sense to copy the key so you have a working backup, anyway?

I use a Lock Ease, a graphite loaded light oil specially made for locks. Once a year in the fall, all my key locks get a quick treatment. Never had a lock problem, keeps them working smoothly.

All locks are mechanical, some lube will be beneficial. Im not gonna use WD40 because of dust etc. Silicone spray repels dust and moisture, also it remains on the surface a long time.

Other inputs will be much appreciated :)

As Ethan said, lots of debate over it.
Using a lube can cause dirt to be attracted and stick, so many say not to use it.
I have always used some dry graphite powder every year or so. No problems with it gumming up the mechanism and works well.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I would worry less about the key wearing and more about the tumbler & pins wearing.

Well the main key wear out already and the tumbler and pins are working perfect. so.....yeah

Like Rick said, Lock Ease is great stuff. I lube the house and car locks once a year and they stay perfect.

I prefer the squirt bottle of Lock Ease. The little aerosol can is uncontrollable and gets black stuff everywhere!

i have used motorcraft "xl-1 penetrating and lock lubricant" for almost 15 years now..using the straw, i inject a little in any lock cylinders. for the ignition i spray a bit on the key and cycle it a few times. seems to do a nice job. i see the main ingredient is stoddard solvent.

Last edited:
Two locksmiths in my area recommended TriFlow. That is all I use on locks. Had the main house lock rebuilt and it was full of graphite. Since then I never use graphite.

On 99 Saturn SL2 the ignition was replaced 3 times. I ended up spraying last replacement with TriFlow occasionally and replacing the key often.

What I did with my never used much spare key is made a copy at Wal-Mart for $2.00 so I always had a good copy with little wear.

Get a new duplicate key made from the like new original, and then put the original back in storage. You don't want to spray anything liquid in the ignition cylinder.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Get a new duplicate key made from the like new original, and then put the original back in storage. You don't want to spray anything liquid in the ignition cylinder.

Well said.

Lock Ease application note.

NO you don't squirt the stuff into a lock. Well maybe a couple of drops in a padlock that sees a lot of weather.

Shake can. Have paper towel ready. Put a couple of drops on key, just a film on the key.

Cycle key in and out of lock a few times.

Wipe key and cycle once more to remove any excess.

Don't get it on clothing, it will stain.

I've done this, once a year, on cars I have owned for almost 20 years and never had a problem with the locks. The locks work smoothly and resist icing.

I just got an older used car for my daughter that had "crunchy" locks. Two treatments cured the crunchy locks, now they operate smoothly.

Yeah, the trick is not to over-do it.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
NO you don't squirt the stuff into a lock. Well maybe a couple of drops in a padlock that sees a lot of weather.

I have the solution for the padlock thing, actually. Grab a tube of white lithium grease, push grease in until you can see it through the keyhole, enjoy years of better-than-new operation in any weather.

I've always used silicone spray it's my go to protectant/lube..garage guns, locks, hitches and rubber parts all get doused...I'll go through 10 cans a year.

Padlock and motorcycle ignition switch, I gave them a shot of Hoppe's No. 9 Dri-Lube in aerosol can and and they been smooth since. No sticky oils or silicone.

other day ran into a 600lb. black bear while I was adding to the feeder, when he spotted me he bolted but not far maybe 25ft. then the fur on his back stood straight up as he stared..had my 1871 Colt .45 drawn, use silicone on that too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
the other key last 10 years.
But just for a preventative measure.

Make a new key for about $2.50!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back