Solution to Leaky Grease Guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a half-dozen zerks on my pick-up truck that, given its low annual use, need a couple of squeezes of grease once a year, and another couple on my in-laws' riding mower that I use and maintain. Otherwise, my pistol-grip grease gun hangs on a nail in the garage, waiting for its brief annual uses. Between uses, though, it drizzles a slow (or in hot weather, not-so-slow) expanding puddle of red solvent/carrier---kind of a continual mess. What am I doing wrong in how I'm using and storing the grease gun, or is my only recourse to put it in some kind of container to leak as it will, and clean it up when the time returns to dab those zerks?

I keep mine contained in plastic bags and wipe them off when I use them.

Are you using Mobil1 red grease? That stuff is known to leak like that and I don't think there is a fix. I use it myself.

As for the leaking, I keep mine laying in an old baking pan so that the red liquid is contained.

Once I'm done with my current tube, though, I'm going with something like Mystik or Valvoline.

The clear-ish Superlube PTFE grease is the only stuff I've used that doesn't separate and leak out of the gun at least a little bit. Most grease does just by nature. I usually keep the grease gun in a cardboard box with some paper towels to absorb any mess it creates.

I have a bin that I toss waste metal into. I hang my grease gun inside that. If it wants to drip, it can.

If I didn't have that bin I'd probably do the same thing, but in the paper or plastic bins -- I use 40 gallon trashcans for recycling.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are you using Mobil1 red grease? That stuff is known to leak like that and I don't think there is a fix. I use it myself.

As for the leaking, I keep mine laying in an old baking pan so that the red liquid is contained.

Once I'm done with my current tube, though, I'm going with something like Mystik or Valvoline.

No Kiddin'! Mine is the same way.

I pull the plunger out after using it, and stick the gun in a plastic bag. It seems some brands of grease drip oil more than others. I won't mention any names for fear of needing a flame suit. I will say RL grease is quite good, and the Mobil 1 grease I have in my gun right now is good too.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Yup, I've been using Mobil 1, but I think the current tube is Mystic with the same result. OK--I'll cannibalize a tired baking pan from the kitchen while The Baker isn't looking. Thanks, Folks.

Last edited:
I use an old plastic paint tray, that way what does leak out goes down in the holding area away from the gun and keeps it fairly clean.

Garage fridge is mine for beer, water, ect. bottom is not used for anything else.
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I keep my grease guns in the vegetable crisper in the garage refrigerator.

You must not be married.
Garage fridge is mine, keep beer, iced tea, and water in it.
bottom section is vacant so in goes grease gun, grease does not separate.

Same here, Mobil 1, red drool. I keep the grease gun in an old carry around tool box along with all my other oil change gear. Mop out the tool box occasionally. That tool box will never rust in my lifetime.

How good a lubricant is that red drool? I went to grease the gearbox of my weedwacker and got only liquid so I poured that in. Figured it would be as good a lube as gear oil, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back