'15 6.7 Powerstroke UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysts Inc. is an ISO 17025 accredited lab located in Hoffman Estates IL. I have used them for over 25 years for oil samples. If your truck or others have fuel in the oil there are multiple reasons that could be causing this.

One being that a short trip prior to the sample being taken can skew the sample, my samples are drawn either after a long run or cold.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Analysts Inc. is an ISO 17025 accredited lab located in Hoffman Estates IL. I have used them for over 25 years for oil samples. If your truck or others have fuel in the oil there are multiple reasons that could be causing this. One being that a short trip prior to the sample being taken can skew the sample, my samples are drawn either after a long run or cold.
Good to know on the lab, the public website does not post much. I draw my samples the same--either after a long run (30+ miles) or cold. You have a unique 6.7L my friend and it allows you to extend the OCI some.

Here are my latest TWO oil changes.
Both were changed per IOLM, used a MotorCraft filter, and Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30.

8/15/16 9,054 mi. on sample 11/07/16 9,997 mi. on sample

FE...............17 13
CHROMIUM......... 1 NICKEL........... ALUMINUM......... 6 8
LEAD..............2 1
COPPER............2 2
TIN.............. SILVER.......... TITANIUM........ SILICON...........4 8
BORON...........200 199
SODIUM...........11 6
POTASSIUM.........1 MOLY............277 264
PHOS............913 840
ZINC...........1063 986
CALCIUM........1357 1267
BARIUM........... MAGNESIUM.......922 846
ANTIMONY..........2 VANADIUM.........
Viscosity @100C 11.2 11.4
Fuel Water

Both samples sent through OILSCAN, a service provided through the Deere dealer network.
There are zero issues I can detect through any of my samples with the 6.7/6.7 regen process. I don't have TBN but as everything looks OCI could be extended. I am happy following IOLM and sampling to assure me of no fuel dilution or any other issues.

At the last sample my '15 6.7 had 51,186 mi., trouble free.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, roadrunner1. I don't have a Powerstroke and unless I downsize to a smaller operation, I probably never will, but I do appreciate the chance to see how they're doing. That goes for all modern diesels for that matter. Good to see all is well.

The latest UOA on my '15 6.7 powerstroke, changed per IOLM on 5/7/17
Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 CJ-4
169 hrs. on sample/ 7,642 mi.
This sample incurred all of my short trip winter commute.

FE...................22
CR....................1
PB................... CU....................2
SN....................1
AL....................8
NI................... AG................... TI................... V.................... SI...................11
NA....................4
K.................... WATER %............ COOLANT..............NO
FUEL................. SOOT %..............0.4
MG..................818
CA.................1385
BA................... P...................906
ZN.................1122
MO..................270
B...................217
Viscosity(cST 100C) 10.8
TBN.................3.6

No oil was added during OCI and oil and filter was changed at the time of sampling using same Plus 50 II 10w-30 & MotorCraft oil filter.

Looks good overall. The Fe wear was up during your short winter trips; nothing to worry over, just a blip.

Will be interesting to see if the IOLM indicates a longer OCI in summer?

Will Fe come back down? Let's find out! Looking forward to the next UOA
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks again roadrunner, looks great. It's nice to see uoa without additives. It's obvious that Ford does use "intelligent" oil life monitoring in the diesel. I'm not convinced that they do in the gasoline powered light duty vehicles.

Good looking UOA, as always from RR.
My only concern is a new truck with warranty.
It looks like (to me) that the Deere oil, although made specifically for them, has followed along with the Delo reduction in P.
Is the latest UOA still CJ-4?

My latest OC, I actually went over the IOLM approx 500 mi.

OC at 10,065 mi. (188 hrs.) 68,811 mi. total on truck
John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 CJ-4, along with a MotorCraft filter
9/17/17

Fe..................21
Cr.................. Pb.................. Cu...................4
Sn.................. Al...................7
Ni.................. Ag.................. Ti.................. V...................
Si..................11
Na...................2
K................... water %.......... coolant.............no
fuel %.............. soot %.............0.6

Mg.................776
Ca................1308
Ba.................. P..................886
Zn................1069
Mo.................260
B..................165

viscosity cST 100C.......11.1
TBN.......................3.8

This sample is my summer driving schedule of approx 300 mi. per day, with 4,000 lbs. in the bed and some towing mixed in.

The IOLM looks very conservative, from looking at my past UOA's it seems I could exceed the "oil change required" message by 20%.

As always the 10w-30 is working just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back