2017 Honda Civic 1.5T, factory fill, 2977miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I think Honda still does try to "break in" with their factory fill.

Yes, we are still being told not to do the first oil change early, as it may cause hot spots in the engine bearings.

Never heard that before. I would drain / refill with Honda brand oil.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I think Honda still does try to "break in" with their factory fill.

Yes, we are still being told not to do the first oil change early, as it may cause hot spots in the engine bearings.

Honda used to be more aggressive about this, but now it's more or less like every other automaker: simply saying there's no need to change the ff early. To find any statement about how the ff benefits engine break-in one has to go the FAQ section of Honda's website, and the answer to that question seems years old. If you ask this question of a dealer service advisor you'll get a blank stare - if it was really important they'd have service examples, reprimands from Honda, etc. that would make them active advocates.

UPDATE: My friend is going to be changing to Castrol 0w20 Magnatec which is much thicker at 9.1cst @100c than the Honda branded he had in there. He is also getting gas from a much better, cleaner gas station so that'll be interesting to see what happens. He is not getting an lab test done on this 2nd oil change he's running on now, but will after the magnatec.

Also found out that the magnatec line up has gone full synthetic, according the guy at NAPA, and that they were just getting in the new line up to the stores. Since my friend had to order it up at the store, get it from the warehouse.

just thought I'd update everyone..
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: researcher
UPDATE: My friend is going to be changing to Castrol 0w20 Magnatec which is much thicker at 9.1cst @100c than the Honda branded he had in there. He is also getting gas from a much better, cleaner gas station so that'll be interesting to see what happens. He is not getting an lab test done on this 2nd oil change he's running on now, but will after the magnatec.

Also found out that the magnatec line up has gone full synthetic, according the guy at NAPA, and that they were just getting in the new line up to the stores. Since my friend had to order it up at the store, get it from the warehouse.

coffee2.gif

A better option for your friend may be ordering on-line from Walmart. I recently did this with Magnatec 0w-20: $17.88 per 5 quart jug and free delivery via UPS to my home in 3 days. Hard to beat that and Walmart's on-line selection is greater than that in stores.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: researcher

coffee2.gif

A better option for your friend may be ordering on-line from Walmart. I recently did this with Magnatec 0w-20: $17.88 per 5 quart jug and free delivery via UPS to my home in 3 days. Hard to beat that and Walmart's on-line selection is greater than that in stores.

Danh.. Thanks for that info! He already bought it from NAPA since he needed an oil change now, and walmart doesn't have the 0w20 in the store. I will tell him it's cheaper for next time, order online at walmart, pick up in store! Or free shipping to home! great idea!

Now onto the update. Got a call from my friend today, he wouldn't stop praising how good the magnatec was! This is coming from a "non-car guy" lol. The differences? The engine felt more responsive, quicker to rev, no fuel smell, an idle that is so quiet he had to look at the tachometer! Plus the fuel economy readout jumped up to 37.7mpg. I know that's all seat-of-your-pants observations. But it's promising good news. He told me that the factory fill was quiet compared to the Honda branded 0w20 full synthetic. He said he woul NEVER get the Honda full synthetic again as it made the engine louder and more "rough" as he said. The magnatec he said was what he expected/remembered Honda to be. Like a well-oiled (pun intended) machine.

Sounds like everything I've read/researched is correct about the Magnatec. A great oil that isn't that well known (yet). Good for Castrol to make this! Or maybe they've been good all along and I forgot about them. either way, sounds like it's an excellent choice for my friends 1.5T DI engine.. we'll see how the fuel dilution goes on the next test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back