Honda Accord fluids list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually downloaded the owners manual just now out of curiosity to see what kind've fluids these cars take,and of course they say to only use Honda branded fluids. What "universal" parts store fluids do these cars take (2012 EX-L 4 cyl model)? The only easy one is the 0W20 oil haha. Their chart says to use 0W20 for all temperatures. So what "compatable" fluids for the following:

Brake fluid
Power steering fluid
Coolant/antifreeze
Automatic transmission

You should have electronic power steering, so no need for fluid.

Automatic transmission: ATF-Z1 - I personally use Maxlife ATF on my Acura CSX, which has the same engine and transmission with Euro spec Accord.
Coolant: Honda Type 2 - don't take risk and buy this from a dealer. It's not that expensive.
Brake fluid: Any good brand dot 3 or dot 4. I use ATE Typ 200, which is a great brake fluid for both daily and track.

No, these cars have hydraulic PS and call for Honda spec PSF.
Other than that, you've got it.
To the OP, Curry Acura in NJ will sell you Z1 ATF at a quite reasonable price shipped.
So you took my advice and are getting or have gotten a K24?
Good choice.

Another opinion:

I only used Honda PS fluid and Honda Antifreeze.

I only used Amsoil Transmission Fluid.

I would probably use Honda Brake Fluid just cause I went there to pick up my PS and Antifreeze.

I believe you will find their PS Fluid is very special.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No, these cars have hydraulic PS and call for Honda spec PSF.
Other than that, you've got it.

Thanks for the clarification, I am actually surprised that they still use power steering pump, they've been using eps in the last 15 years.

Any DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. Even Walmart DOT 3 is fine if you change it every 3 years like Honda says to do (you can probably get away with just flushing the fluid when you replace the pads and rotors). Valvoline DOT 3+4 is also popular since it often goes on sale for a good price. Castrol makes a good brake fluid, but it's hard to find in stores.

Power steering fluid must be of the special type for Hondas. You do not have to get it from the dealer, but whatever PSF you buy, make sure it says Honda or Acura on the bottle! Walmart has Prestone Honda power steering fluid for$2-something a bottle.

Pentofrost A3 is the exact same blue 50/50 premix you'd get from the dealer, but at a better price. The best price for it is AAP with a promo code. Another good alternative is Recochem OEM Blue from Pep Boys. It's a concentrate, and on sale for $14/gal (regular price is around $20). Peak Global Lifetime will probably work ok in your car, too (yellow color, similar to Zerex G-05). Zerex Asian is another option, very similar to Honda Blue, except it's pink and not blue.

ATF: Maxlife is good stuff and will work well in your Honda (and quite popular on here). Castrol Synthetic ATF is also good, if you can find it. Even Smitty's Synthetic ATF from Kmart would be fine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So you took my advice and are getting or have gotten a K24?
Good choice.

Yep!
thumbsup2.gif
I kept your recommendation in my head while I've been shopping and that's what I found. I'd remembered you saying to look for a 2012 4cyl. It's a 2012 4cyl,red with tan leather,fully loaded with everything,spotless,75k miles. I'll know by tomorrow (hopefully) if they accept my offer. If it all works out I'll post pics.

Does everyone with these cars run 0W20? Walmart has Pennzoil Platinum in that weight,which will be my choice. Out of curiosity I looked on Shell Australia's lube match,and it says to use 5W40 in these cars. I don't intend to play around with oil weights,I was just curious. Does everyone stick with 0W20? Buying that weight of oil is definitely going to take some getting used to haha.

These cars are not equipped with electric power steering, they are in fact hydraulic. I use all Honda OEM fluids except engine oil, it gets Pennzoil Platinum for that. You should use OEM Honda transmission fluid, OEM power steering fluid, and OEM type II coolant, don't skimp on those.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
You should use OEM Honda transmission fluid, OEM power steering fluid, and OEM type II coolant, don't skimp on those.

Right on,thanks!

These cars are not equipped with electric power steering, they are in fact hydraulic. I use all Honda OEM fluids except engine oil, it gets Pennzoil Platinum for that. You should use OEM Honda transmission fluid, OEM power steering fluid, and OEM type II coolant, don't skimp on those.

Why should we only use OEM Honda ATF?

Service manual says ATF Z1, as long as it meets/exceeds Z1 specs, it should be fine. Am I missing something?

I have a 2008 accord.
Engine oil amsoil/RP/M1 0w20
PS Honda oem
Trans Amsoil ATF
Brakes Valvoline stuff
Coolant Honda oem type 2

Read my thread with UOA
LINK

Last edited:
Quote:
Brake fluid.

Any DOT 3 or DOT 4. Recently used Prestone DOT3 Syn from WM with a system flush of 07 Accord 3.0L.

Quote:
Power steering fluid.

Prestone (for) Honda/(Acura) PSF. Used this on all Hondas I've owned including 250+k mile 01 Civic still with the original pump. Readily available at WM ~$2.50 12oz bottle.

Quote:
Coolant/antifreeze.

Any Asian PHOAT AF will work just fine. Zerex Asian Formula now comes in a blue tint to match Type 2 tint. And much less expensive than Type2. PepBoys now carries OEM Brand Asian Concentrate, which when caught on sale is the best deal by far. Even comes in blue tint. Check current promo and ATF board for more details.

Quote:
Automatic transmission

Looks like the 2012 specs DW1. I suppose because it's your vehicle I'd say use DW1 and pay the price premium. That said, I've used MaxLife in the two Hondas previously noted specing Z1 for very significant miles (150+k) and both original trans, shift and work fine. And DW1 is included on the ML updated pdf spec sheet, so based on my experience 'I'd' likely use that with no worries. But DW1 may help you sleep better at night.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

Why should we only use OEM Honda ATF?

Service manual says ATF Z1, as long as it meets/exceeds Z1 specs, it should be fine. Am I missing something?

I know my manual says DW-1, ATF Z1 is the old spec. If you want to use another ATF that says "meets or exceeds" be my guest. Those ATF's also have to meet every other spec for all other car companies so it won't be tailored to Honda / Acura cars whereas OEM fluid is.

+1.

These fluids aren't even expensive or hard to find and Honda's are finicky when it comes to them. About the oil thing you can go non-OEM is engine oil and brake fluid since those follow non-Honda specs, for the rest you take a chance since Honda controls the specs for those other fluids.

Z1 is old, it's superseded by DW-1, I don't even know if you can find Z1 any more. There's no point looking specifically for Z1 when DW-1 is mixable with Z1, available at all dealerships and an improved fluid overall.

Go get the fluids from online dealerships, cheaper than walking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back