Why You Should Stay Out Of Oil Change Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Ford Quicklane service. Very fair price. I never get upsold. Pretty likely that they use MC products.No sawzall. Sometimes they forget to reset IOLM.

One has to be cautious. Even when the people are doing the job honestly, they're not necessarily doing it correctly. For all the OEMs' talk about dealer service, for instance, or the quick lubes talking about warranty approved service, you don't tend to get mechanics changing oil. Do they use a specified filter, or have they consolidated their inventory to simply the shorty across the line? Do they pay attention not only to viscosity, but required specifications? Do they know how much to put in?

One local quick lube is good about specs. They won't put in something out of spec unless you get into an argument with them. That's great, but they have consolidated their filter lines, and don't put on the specified filter, at least not by design.

We can't all be knowledgeable in all fields. In almost every product and service we purchase there is some level of trust we must place in the manufacturer, sales person, service representative, and marketing literature to be honest and do the right thing. Trust is an essential part of human interactions - it's not ignorance, it's a necessary reliance on another's integrity. Without it there can be no trade or business. People are trusting by nature, and when that trust is violated there needs to be consequences. That's not to say we shouldn't be cautious, but let's face it, it is easy to fool most innocent people. It's also wrong.

"Buyer Beware" is NOT an excuse for knowingly, willingly, and intentionally ripping someone off. It's called fraud and it is illegal.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
We can't all be knowledgeable in all fields. In almost every product and service we purchase there is some level of trust we must place in the manufacturer, sales person, service representative, and marketing literature to be honest and do the right thing. Trust is an essential part of human interactions - it's not ignorance, it's a necessary reliance on another's integrity. Without it there can be no trade or business. People are trusting by nature, and when that trust is violated there needs to be consequences. That's not to say we shouldn't be cautious, but let's face it, it is easy to fool most innocent people. It's also wrong.

"Buyer Beware" is NOT an excuse for knowingly, willingly, and intentionally ripping someone off. It's called fraud and it is illegal.

Good post!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Agreed, and it's highly unfortunate, especially when these places advertise that they are protecting your warranty. I don't like anyone changing oil on my vehicle. However, I've got the confidence in my abilities, the time, the tools, a heated garage, and the physical ability to do so.

Some people live in a condo, some don't have somewhere to work in the winter, some aren't in the physical shape to do so, and we have the bulk of an entire gender that's been told for decades that it's all man's work, regardless of how elementary an oil change really is. These people don't need to be thrown to the wolves at every service interval.

Never really used too many shops for quicklube services, I DIY.

But, I bought a Scion that came with a glovebox full of receipts from Firestone. Engine is as clean as a whistle.

Even though they up sell you, I think that firestone does a pretty good job of oil changes.

Just 200,000 K ??? Valvoline "Guarantees 300,000 miles" by using their services and its complete [censored] how they run the shops 55-60% of the time company wide. The way Jiffy Lube and Valvolines etc are run in general are comparable to a large scale church model or Megachurch. It's a huge reason I'd like to own my own shop or mobile oil change business here in Clemson. There is not many places in the area where EXCELLENT servicing meets EXCELLENT pricing.

My two cents:

1) Oil Can Henry's I have never had an issue with the few times I have over the years done oil changes with and transmission fluid service too.

2) I have once or twice used Jiffy Lube and the one franchisee here is pretty good; the owner I have talked to and runs a tight ship and hasn't had any costly mistakes since he took over in 2002. Before that, they had weekly bills from customers for things not put back property....

3) Wal-Mart Lube, well I had a friend who worked in the Tire & Lube shop and he said his experience as an employee there was pretty good; the employees that had issues that lead to costly mistakes did just that due to they didn't know what to do. One example he said that a customer came in with a car that had no information on where the oil drain plug was and he looked around and instead drained the transmission. This was some newer car where I guess the drain plug is on the side of the side of the pan rather than the underside.

My guess after watching the Jiffy Lube videos, is that the employees are paid by piece work and not by the hour.
They are likely stealing parts and lubricants that were billed out to customers.

Many of them will soon find themselves on the other side of the proposed grigo fence.
Let's see some green cards.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
My guess after watching the Jiffy Lube videos, is that the employees are paid by piece work and not by the hour.
They are likely stealing parts and lubricants that were billed out to customers.

Many of them will soon find themselves on the other side of the proposed grigo fence.
Let's see some green cards.

I dunno, the jiffy lubes by me are all white guys and gals...

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Just wanted to chime in real quick between blowing engines and ripping off innocent consumers.
Any DRs here? Medical errors are the 3rd largest cause of death in the US. (Google it)
All DRs are terrible, no one should trust any Doctor.

You know what you call the med student that finished last in medical school?

Doctor.

There is the bottom of the barrel in every profession.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A female friend asked me to show her how to change the oil on her car, she said Valvoline charged her $79 for an oil change on her cobalt. I think they up sold her on high mileage and they over charge for it.

Same thing happened to a friend too- except Oil Changers doesn't use brand-name oil as default. The dealer charges less for oil changes now - to stay competitive with Jiffy Like and the like.

I took my old car into quick lube that did a decent job, they use bulk Castrol and Service Champ filters(looked like a Champ E-Core for this filter, I saw another one that was a Fram). They didn't tighten up the filter but somehow it was still on and not leaking!

It doesnt matter what place you bring your car for service.
Its up to you, the consumer to be aware. Doesnt matter if its your home getting worked on or your car.

You cant trust anyplace, if you do, sooner or later you will lose, its up to you to check all work.

Never mind Quick Lube places, my daughter was ripped off at SEARS for an oil change.
First, I change most cars in my family, sometimes though, I cant keep up between work, etc.

Once in a while, I would have my wife and daughter take a coupon for a Sears Oil Change on my daughters car.
My wife and daughter took my daughters car to Sears for a basic oil change.

(ANYTIME I do not change oil myself, I check the oil and filter to make sure it was changed)

I get home from work, daughters car in the driveway, lift the hood, pull the dipstick, same old black oil on the stick, in disbelief, I look at the oil filter. NOPE, no way was the oil changed.
Take the car back to Sears fuming mad with the receipt and my wife and daughter.
Manager was extremely nice, even let me into the back stock room to check their brand of filters before I took this any further.
Manager swore he saw my daughters car on the lift, other Sears mechanics came and pulled the dipstick and looked at the filter, they all agreed, NOPE, kid who was to do her oil change did not do it. Some saw him put the car on the lift and another then also said he was smoking a cig behind the building at the time.

Bottom line, trust no one and cut the honest places a break too, they all are here to make a living, the problem is, most people are too trusting, ask to be shown proof.

PS, many decades ago when I was a late aged teenager, before quick lube places, I remember my friend quit a regular repair shop because the owner told him not to change the oil filter if a girl brought in a car for an oil change, he was instructed to just wipe the old one off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
It doesnt matter what place you bring your car for service.
Its up to you, the consumer to be aware. Doesnt matter if its your home getting worked on or your car.

You cant trust anyplace, if you do, sooner or later you will lose, its up to you to check all work.

Never mind Quick Lube places, my daughter was ripped off at SEARS for an oil change.
First, I change most cars in my family, sometimes though, I cant keep up between work, etc.

Once in a while, I would have my wife and daughter take a coupon for a Sears Oil Change on my daughters car.
My wife and daughter took my daughters car to Sears for a basic oil change.

(ANYTIME I do not change oil myself, I check the oil and filter to make sure it was changed)

I get home from work, daughters car in the driveway, lift the hood, pull the dipstick, same old black oil on the stick, in disbelief, I look at the oil filter. NOPE, no way was the oil changed.
Take the car back to Sears fuming mad with the receipt and my wife and daughter.
Manager was extremely nice, even let me into the back stock room to check their brand of filters before I took this any further.
Manager swore he saw my daughters car on the lift, other Sears mechanics came and pulled the dipstick and looked at the filter, they all agreed, NOPE, kid who was to do her oil change did not do it. Some saw him put the car on the lift and another then also said he was smoking a cig behind the building at the time.

Bottom line, trust no one and cut the honest places a break too, they all are here to make a living, the problem is, most people are too trusting, ask to be shown proof.

PS, many decades ago when I was a late aged teenager, before quick lube places, I remember my friend quit a regular repair shop because the owner told him not to change the oil filter if a girl brought in a car for an oil change, he was instructed to just wipe the old one off.

I would have quit too, would not be able to live with myself working for such a piece of sh!t

My employer has an account with Valvoline and thats where we take our fleet. My last company car went from zero to 240K miles with nothing but the basic Valvoline oil change and filters.

You don't even get out of your car. They just have you place your car keys on the dash where they can see them and pop the hood.
Guy in the pit does the dump and filter. Another guy under the hood does the fill and checks air filter/battery/AC to fish for upsales. 3rd guy stands next to your door with a computer and takes your info/payment. He also yells out a checklist for the other 2 guys..
OIL FILTER VO66.. VO66 CHECK!
6 Qrts 5w30 conventional... 6 QRTS 1 2 3 4 5 6 CHECK!
etc..

Start the car, turn it off. Show me the dipstick. Reset the OLM. Check tires PSI. I say no 100 times to all the upsales. Out in under 10mins.

If I became unable to do my own maintenance I would have no problem bringing my cars there. They seem legit.
Valvoline on Rubber ave in Naugatuck CT.

Last edited:
In my small town: Mobil 1 and Texaco QL's ... both are managed by owners who are there.
The Texaco was a Shell back when they put ? in my trucks rear and ruined it in 30k - it was still low mileage truck - but stuff drained out like 0w10. That's what put me back DIY at the expense of other things not done ...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Most people just cant be bothered to do it themselves or find a good indy who doesnt rip them off.. if you are too lazy/cant be bothered.. u get what you deserve.. obviously there are exceptions, like the elderly etc..

I wonder when I'm going to get elderly and stoop changing my own oil I'm only 73?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back