Would Heavier Gear Oil Quite an Angle Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://shop.carlscycle.com/fiche_section...amp;fveh=313217

This right angle drive is used by Polaris Slingshots to convert the power over to a belt drive. The unit is horrendously noise, particularly in the lower gears. It calls for an 80-140 gear oil. I've tried a straight 190 and it was still noisy. Dare I go for a 250W? Or might this be to heavy to properly lube the bearings? I don't think it would matter to the two pinion gears.

is the ring and pinion straight cut or helical cut? (they were too lazy to show the gear teeth in the parts drawing)

if it's straight cut I don't think you'll be able to get it quiet. If it's helical cut I'd be checking or play in the bearings and if those are good then the gears themselves.

Its not worn...they all whine on all the Slingshots. It bothers some of us but some don't seem to mind.

Originally Posted By: Woofythewolf
is the ring and pinion straight cut or helical cut? (they were too lazy to show the gear teeth in the parts drawing)

if it's straight cut I don't think you'll be able to get it quiet. If it's helical cut I'd be checking or play in the bearings and if those are good then the gears themselves.

Not sure, but I think they are straight cut.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
http://shop.carlscycle.com/fiche_section...amp;fveh=313217

This right angle drive is used by Polaris Slingshots to convert the power over to a belt drive. The unit is horrendously noise, particularly in the lower gears. It calls for an 80-140 gear oil. I've tried a straight 190 and it was still noisy. Dare I go for a 250W? Or might this be to heavy to properly lube the bearings? I don't think it would matter to the two pinion gears.

250W may dampen noise further , but check for pour point against your ambient temperature.

Isn't it still under warranty?!? Sounds like a recall may be in order.

The oil used in bronze gear worm drives is the thickest stuff you'll ever find!

Use an ISO 480 "steam cylinder oil" like Mobil 600W
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back