Motorcraft xg-8 grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to lube the splines on the driveshaft slip joint on my 99 Explorer .
Has anyone had any experience using this grease ? It contains PTFE and is supposed to help with the Ford driveshaft "Thump" .

Yup I still have a tube of it from back when I owned an F150. Functionally it did the job -- kind of odd applying a grease that wasn't really "greasy" in texture.

I can't comment on how well it fixed the driveline thump. Since the thump is due to the slack in the spline engagement, it's going to be there regardless of what grease is used. I guess the teflon stuff is supposed to provide some amount of "cushion" to make the thump less noticeable.

I have gone on to use the grease for other applications -- mostly in places where I need lubrication but don't want to introduce anything petroleum based (sewing machines, certain locks, etc.)

The thump has nothing to do with slack. It is the binding of the slip joint when the vehicle rocks forward coming to a stop and backward taking off. The splines stick until the force is enough to extend the joint and it jerks past the friction point. I lubed my 2009 f150 Joint twice a year with the xg8. It works, but doesn't last too long. My 2016 has a different configuration. Not sure how often it will require this. I could drop the driveshaft lube the joint and reinstall in about 20 minutes while waiting for the oil to drain.
Make sure you mark the shaft's position on the pinion flange and reinstall in the same place. You may have to put the transmission into neutral to get it lined up, so make sure it is solid on the stands and won't roll in neutral.

Been struggling with this on my 11. Nothing works very long, xg8 has worked the longest and best. I get about 5-8k miles before it returns.

The white Ford Teflon grease lasted a few hundred miles.
Molybdenum paste (50%) lasted a few thousand but now it feels really bad, though in an inconsistent and unpredictable manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back