First in-car footage of my 2017 Corvette GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've passed the 1500 mile mark, and the weather is nice, it's time to get the new Corvette out on the track!

Unfortunately, the first day of the season was far from ideal. Chicago region SCCA had a PDX at Autobahn Country Club's north track on a Friday afternoon, which felt like a great way to ease me into a car with higher limits than the already excellent M3. About an hour before the first car was scheduled to go out, strong thunderstorms rolled in and dumped water for a solid 45 minutes. This was long enough to not delay the start time, but long enough to create standing water, small rivers, and wash all of the oil up to the surface of the track. I was pretty cheesed but there were no refunds.

I didn't bother recording the first session since it was an exercise in futility: go near the throttle and stability control took over, and doing more than 40mph in a corner lead to hydroplaning and copious countersteering. I was about ready to pack things up and just head home, but the track began drying out as more cars drove on it -- and the sun even made a brief appearance to help out!

Below are the other two sessions, as seen through the eyes of the car's integrated Performance Data Recorder. I still couldn't push as hard as I wanted to and the stability control + ABS were working pretty hard.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

How is the new car treating you in your daily grind?

I don't daily drive the car, but for running errands and doing stuff around town it's totally fine. It took some adjustment to the smaller windows and wide fenders, but overall I'd say it's quite comfortable. With the magnetic suspension in touring mode, and the exhaust baffles closed, it's happy to sit in traffic. The Competition bucket seats are snug but not absurd, and they even have heating and cooling!

I use eco mode on the highway and get over 30mpg. For a sports car, it's surprisingly practical.

That data recorder is nice! From where to you get the GPS track maps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qjohn
That data recorder is nice! From where to you get the GPS track maps?

The car's built-in GPS handles it. All you do is tap "define finish line", complete a lap, and then all successive laps are timed and show the outline.

The LCD instrument cluster, when in track mode, also shows the timer (best, current, previous):

chevy-corvette-stingray-gauge-video.jpg

Very nice. It's always a pleasure to see a performance thoroughbred driven as its makers intended.

Very cool. I think the GS is the best of the Vettes. I'd love a C6 GS. I can't say that I'm not jealous of the ease at which you get some great data, too.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
That's a nice feature.
I won't comment on the driving.

He was driving like a 75 year old grandma cause the track was wet and on cold tires. If you watch his M3 track videos he does a great job keeping up with Mustangs, Porsche 911s and other M powered BMWs.

Please post photos of the car with a write up.

robercope,
I plan on buying a crystal red C6 Grand Sport in the near future with manual trans and dual mode exhaust.

That's a nice feature.

First track day of the season, first track day in a new car, damp track + enormous tires...it wasn't my best driving, I'll admit it.

Originally Posted By: dparm
That's a nice feature.

First track day of the season, first track day in a new car, damp track + enormous tires...it wasn't my best driving, I'll admit it.
Hey man, I said I won't comment.
happy2.gif
But the recording feature is nice and I know that you're feeling out your new car before you're really ready to give it [censored] and ratchet up those G forces.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
That's a nice feature.

Hey man, I said I won't comment.
happy2.gif
But the recording feature is nice and I know that you're feeling out your new car before you're really ready to give it [censored] and ratchet up those G forces.
cheers3.gif

The telemetry indicated a peak sustained 1.05g, which is pretty awesome. I have seen a quoted 1.12g on these tires, and 1.2g with the Z07 Performance Package (stiffer suspension, bigger anti-sway bars, and Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires).

I admire you even taking it out in those conditions - that track was really wet, and the sky really dark!

A car that powerful, that you aren't 100% used to can get really ugly, really fast in those conditions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back