Under Valve Cover Pictures 2003 Ford Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the spark plug holes were full of oil, so I decided to change the plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets.

Here are the pictures.

Almost looks like corrosion on a couple of those lobes.

What oil and oil change interval?

The cam lobes with lines on them are quite typical for hydraulic roller followers. That is generally not a problem.

Last edited:
I have no idea what they ran in it. I just purchased this from my neighbor for $300. It sat for a year before I got it going again last weekend. It could be corrosion from it sitting with the intake manifold loose. I was surprised to see it that clean inside though.

It looks very clean IMO

THANK YOU for pictures
smile.gif

Looks clean Tom my two cents !! How many miles on the Taurus ? I use to have a 2003 work vehicle that was actually a really good car.

Looks clean! How many miles on it?
smile.gif

I hope you used iridium spark plugs, so that you won't have to pull the valve cover again for another 100k at least. I'd use NGK laser iridium plugs and NGK wires

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Those lobes though...

Believe it or not, not likely to be a problem. Roller followers are completely tolerant of all sorts of pitting corrosion. The lobes with lines are normal.

In the last picture the lobe on the left looks like it's walking to the left; off some splines.

What causes those amber bands? Each camshaft has one.

Looks great. I had one and used PP 5W30. Originally a Porsche design and complicated for 200 BHP. Great commuter car got decent gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Looks clean Tom my two cents !! How many miles on the Taurus ? I use to have a 2003 work vehicle that was actually a really good car.

The car has 88,500 or so miles

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Looks clean! How many miles on it?
smile.gif

I hope you used iridium spark plugs, so that you won't have to pull the valve cover again for another 100k at least. I'd use NGK laser iridium plugs and NGK wires

I put the OEM Motorcraft Platinums back in it.

Those lobes though...

... Yeah I dunno what's going on with that...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Those lobes though...

Believe it or not, not likely to be a problem. Roller followers are completely tolerant of all sorts of pitting corrosion. The lobes with lines are normal.

This is true. Some trucks come through the shop that make me go "ouch" when I see the cams but they don't have issues.

That one lobe on this car looks corroded though which I think is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back