Honda VTX1300 Motorcycle question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO, I am going to look at a Honda VTX 1300 with many farkles( seat, windshield, exhaust, bags,etc..)

It has ~30k miles. Question is, what should I look for? Steering, charging or? Any other known issues or things to watch for?

In terms of the price, what should be the range of it? Thanks for all of your input and advice.

Make sure you get proof that the valve clearances were checked and/or adjusted. This isn't usually a hard job to do on a bike, but one that is preferrable if already done when you buy the bike.

for price, you don't say what year or model variation - so check nadaguides. I've found that many people on Craiglist are asking too much for used bikes - which is why they stay "for sale" forever. when I sell bikes I must price them too low - they sell right away.

as far as things to look for, 30k is a fair number of miles (although most bikes can go 100k+ with maintenance)
is it carbureted for fuel injected? if it's FI, great. if it's carbureted, the biggest problem with any used carb'd bike is clogged pilot jets - so make sure that it runs right and accelerates correctly. beyond that? wheel bearings, steering bearings. although I have never actually checked those on a used bike until I get them home. the biggest thing to me is how does it run? are there any leaks? do the brakes work? how does it shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back