Removing stop leak + Radiator change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a tractor and it needs a new radiator. Now, here's my dilemma, do I flush the system first, or do I flush it after. It did have a leak in the radiator and they used a stop leak product in it to hold them over until I ordered one for them. What I'm trying to do is remove the stop leak product from the cooling system.

I would think flush first, correct?

Before you change so as to not introduce anything to the new radiator IMO
Good luck and keep making my cheap food

I'd do any chemical cleansing/flushing with the old radiator in place. Heaven only knows what chemicals you're going to reach for.

Years ago accumulations of radiator leak stop products settled into the heater core of my sisters Jeep plugging it completely.
I ran every product I could think of through the heater core (using small lengths of heater hose at the firewall for direct access.
Nothing worked until I tried gasoline. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'd do any chemical cleansing/flushing with the old radiator in place. Heaven only knows what chemicals you're going to reach for.

Years ago accumulations of radiator leak stop products settled into the heater core of my sisters Jeep plugging it completely.
I ran every product I could think of through the heater core (using small lengths of heater hose at the firewall for direct access.
Nothing worked until I tried gasoline. Problem solved. I trust you kept your fingers in your ears while doing so.

I plugged a heater core solid on a Valiant by using the silver powder on it. I solved the problem by reversing the hoses. Lesson learned, I used only Bars leak rabbit waste in 1/2 dosages when a BMW had a leaky heater core. It reduced the leak to manageable rate. I recommend back flushing the system before changing the radiator. If the stop leak was the BL type, It should wash out easily, it only clots when exposed to air. If the present coolant is brown and awful looking , thats the Bars Leak in solution.

I was given a Buick Le Sabre for free from my friend, he had slid into a tree in my yard and made a small leak in his radiator. He put the gold Bar's Leak in. It stopped the leak, but it's always had cooling issues since.

I replaced the thermostat and water pump, both had the gold [censored] stuck to them and needed replaced, I took off every hose, cleaned and reattached the hoses. Removed the over flow and scrubbed it with a tooth brush. Cleaned the temp sensor. Ran garden hose through the cooling system and forced more out.

If I were to use it again, I would run it long enough that the leak stops and then flush my cooling system with water until I didnt see flakes.

I would flush the system before putting in the new radiator, then with the radiator out, run a hose and circulate more water into it. Make sure to use distilled water when refilling the new radiator.

Thanks everyone. I flushed the system using a 10 minute flush product. Wow, a lot of stuff came out. Looked like glitter and another fluff product that could resemble Bar's Leak tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back