Skyactiv 2.5t DI high compression - oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thks for advice with MAGNATEC , it's 5w30 seems like a blend (semi synthetic) not like 5w20 and 0w20 that are full synthetic (probably group III though) . I think 0W30 or 0w40 are superior group IV full "real" synthetics and heat in Florida heat maybe too much for 5W30 Magnatec in this DIT application . I plan to keep 7500 miles oil changes...

Originally Posted By: M6ser
Thks for advice with MAGNATEC , it's 5w30 seems like a blend (semi synthetic) not like 5w20 and 0w20 that are full synthetic (probably group III though) . I think 0W30 or 0w40 are superior group IV full "real" synthetics and heat in Florida heat maybe too much for 5W30 Magnatec in this DIT application . I plan to keep 7500 miles oil changes...

10w-30 or 15w-40 in any full syn you like. In FL there is no need for 0w or 5w. You will get an oil with less VII and a lower noack. You'll trade a bit of fuel economy during warmup and benefit from a stouter more heat resistant oil.

I have had mine since Aug 2016. I now have 17,000kms on it

First change 2000kms, Second at 12,000kms

I'm using PUP 5W30 with a Fram Ultra Synth filter.

Has the power delivery like a diesel.... use 91+ octane, I find the power delivery much better over 87

What is considered a low Calcium level? Is Castrol Edge 0-30 made in belgium a low calcium formula?

What is considered a low Calcium level? Is Castrol Edge 0-30 made in belgium a low calcium formula?

My own rule of thumb is
~1000ppm - low Ca
~2000ppm - mid Ca
~3000ppm - high Ca
~4000ppm - Amsoil SS ;^)

I know that the M1 5W30s I have looked into are all low Ca, but M1 0W40 is high Ca just to confuse things. Not sure about their HM oils.
Believe that Castrol 5W30 Edge transitioned from low to mid Ca a year or two ago, don't know about Belgian Castrol.
Rotella T6 5W40 used to be very low Ca, but that may have changed with the recent reformulations and the introduction of T6 5W30 Multivehicle.
Our very own Molakule shared some info about a very promising 0W30 he was formulating that had LSPI reduction in mind with about 1600ppm Ca.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

My own rule of thumb is
~1000ppm - low Ca
~2000ppm - mid Ca
~3000ppm - high Ca
~4000ppm - Amsoil SS ;^)

I know that the M1 5W30s I have looked into are all low Ca, but M1 0W40 is high Ca just to confuse things. Not sure about their HM oils.
Believe that Castrol 5W30 Edge transitioned from low to mid Ca a year or two ago, don't know about Belgian Castrol.
Rotella T6 5W40 used to be very low Ca, but that may have changed with the recent reformulations and the introduction of T6 5W30 Multivehicle.
Our very own Molakule shared some info about a very promising 0W30 he was formulating that had LSPI reduction in mind with about 1600ppm Ca.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay

01.gif

That's a seal of approval that means a lot to me, coming from one of my favorite BITOG posters!

It just so happened that somebody just posted a UOA of Castrol Edge 5W30, about 1800ppm Ca.
It was under 1000ppm when the PQIA looked at synth 5W30s back in 2013.
Note that the present level is still quite close to that found in the new Molakule formulation I mentioned above that has LSPI resistance in mind.

Castrol Edge 5W30 UOA

I agree with the above, the most important factor here is the oil change interval. Use your choice of 5w-30 and start with 5k oci. You can change the interval if a UOA shows fuel dilution is low.

In my opinion, the factor is calcium not interval. The latest M1 oils like annual performance are all low Ca. Check the VOA. That's what I would go with for a new DI or DIT car.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
In my opinion, the factor is calcium not interval. The latest M1 oils like annual performance are all low Ca. Check the VOA. That's what I would go with for a new DI or DIT car.

Good point. A good oil would be Mobil1 AFE.

I see, since I already ordered Belgian 0-30 Castrol Edge I will use it for first oil change at 1500 miles or so , than may do UOA after say 5K miles to see Calcium and how it does...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: wemay

01.gif

That's a seal of approval that means a lot to me, coming from one of my favorite BITOG posters!

It just so happened that somebody just posted a UOA of Castrol Edge 5W30, about 1800ppm Ca.
It was under 1000ppm when the PQIA looked at synth 5W30s back in 2013.
Note that the present level is still quite close to that found in the new Molakule formulation I mentioned above that has LSPI resistance in mind.

Castrol Edge 5W30 UOA

Much appreciated and the feeling is mutual.
I agree, Edge still shows on the lower end of CaSa concentration, even with the new UOA in mind. We've slso seen Havoline and others reduce the concentrations as well. Coincidence?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back