Mystik JT8 15W50 Semi Syn HDEO - 2014 Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: troop
I've been using this oil in my H-D motor/primary for a few years now. Thinking of giving it a try in my Yamaha FZ-09. Not sure of shearing durability but should be good for 2.5-3k miles.

Let me know if this works with your clutch. If this oil works with wet clutches, this might be my new go-to oil for my bike.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: troop
I've been using this oil in my H-D motor/primary for a few years now. Thinking of giving it a try in my Yamaha FZ-09. Not sure of shearing durability but should be good for 2.5-3k miles.

Let me know if this works with your clutch. If this oil works with wet clutches, this might be my new go-to oil for my bike.

You will be good to go. Troop used it in his wet clutch Harley for a few years.

Just got back from the Rural King in Niles , Michigan . I stop there every few weeks . They are about 10miles from my house. And they finally got Mystik 15-50 oil on the shelf in store. Same as online price of $24.99 for 2 gal. jug . I bought a jug even though I just bought those 2 older jugs (1 gal. each) at the auto store. I`m just wondering since this is "Rural King" I`m wondering if they were just stocking it for summer because the tractor owners may be buying it?

I dont know Jim, maybe. I forgot where I read it, I think in a few places that this oil has a following in the Agriculture industry.

That maybe because of a couple reasons.
Two of those in my mind is price/performance and the other is that there are no other 50wt "S" and "C" rated oils on the USA market, though very common outside the USA for an equivalent ACEA rated "E" oil in a 50 weight.

The only other that I know of is Amsoil at a much, there maybe 1 or 2 others but again, unlike Mystik they are boutique priced.

Last edited:
I want to retract my statement about using Mystik 15w50 in the primary. I have used it in there without problems but I forgot about the compensator and feel it should have a gear rated fluid instead. HD formula+ is the appropriate fluid or a virgin gear fluid without friction modifiers in it should be used in the primary.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Mystik jt-8 on sale at fleetfarm. 5 gallon pail Normally 55.99 on sale for 27.99 after $25.00 mail in rebate.
Breaks down to $1.40 per quart

Wow, amazing isnt it?

Shows how large a markup on oil from companies that spend money on marketing their products, then those who do not.
Its all just oil.
I have way too much Mystik 15/50 on hand (almost 8 gallons due to shipping error at no cost to me) and still wonder how, when and where I will use it or get rid of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I used Amsoil's Type F ATF in my primary for a LONG time with beautiful clutch action and no penalties.

I have a Rivera dry clutch and belt drive system now.

Im tempted to use the Mystik 15/50 in the primary, I KNOW it will be ok, Im just a kind of a by the book guy by using recommended type fluids and yet of course by using it, I am still by the book as HD markets their own 20/50 for the primary.
I have so much free oil to use up or give away or sell ... yet if using Formula + is superior in the primary (and trans), I honestly to NOT care about wasting $10 a quart for it in the two.

OUR SUMMER has almost arrived here! Leaves are on the trees and the sun strong :eek:) long ride yesterday with the wife, NO coat required and short sleeve shirt and depending how much work I do in the yard today ... maybe will do that again ...

Last edited:
nothing special about the cheap HD oils blended by citgo to hd's specs! a cheap blend for better profits thats HD lubricants!!! in fact most all manufacturer branded oils will be overpriced for what you get IMO

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
.....and still wonder how, when and where I will use it or get rid of it.

I mix it 2 qts 15w-50 and 3 quarts 0W-20 and run that in my various vehicles.

Works out to be about 6W-33?

Probably about the same as a "thick" 5W-30-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back