Castrol Edge 5w30; 8,930km; 2013 F150; 106,872km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Here is the latest UOA from my 2013 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost. I switched from M1 to Castrol Edge. This is the first test with the Edge. What are your thoughts/comments? Thanks!

13%20F150-170513_zpsfqil2vel.jpg

Hate to say it, but for the miles, those results aren't very good in my book.

Fuel is obviously thinning the oil, and increasing wear. I'd try an A3-rated 30-weight, or a light 40-weight, and see how it does.

You can't do 'a lot' about the fuel, but you can give it a tougher oil to dilute.

There's probably a lot more fuel in there than 1.5%. Since as discussed on here, Blackstone doesn't have the correct equipment to determine fuel % in oil.

More dilution than Blackstone states IMO. Some really low flashpoints even with the M1. Wear #'s are good though so maybe you could bump the OCI another 1k km or so. It's a good thing you're using quality oils IMO, ST dino likely wouldn't cut it at 8k intervals. Thanks for posting.

metal wear and fuel dilution. I will just 5k dino using 10W30 considering the mileage and fuel dilution. You can do synthetic in winter but during summer dino is fine.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
More dilution than Blackstone states IMO. Some really low flashpoints even with the M1. Wear #'s are good though so maybe you could bump the OCI another 1k km or so. It's a good thing you're using quality oils IMO, ST dino likely wouldn't cut it at 8k intervals. Thanks for posting.

8,000 kms is like 5k miles

OP, thanks for the UOA, it all looks fine to me.

This UOA was Edge but the previous 4 were M1 and you can see this in the typical Magnesium and Calcium detergent mix used in M1, while the Edge leans heavy on Calcium.

To be honest I can't see any significant difference between the M1 and the Edge. Look at the Edge iron wear numbers (19 ppm) and the Edge KV100 viscosity (8.66 cSt), in both cases I can find previous M1 results that are both higher and lower.

The zinc levels are similar at about 750 ppm, with maybe a slight advantage to the Edge. Also the TBN retention is similar all finishing in the 2.8 - 3.8 range, with maybe a slight advantage to the M1. They both have much the same Moly at ~ 70 ppm, but the Boron prize goes to the Edge (~120 Vs ~30 ppm).

I would say both the M1 and the Edge are doing a good job and performing much the same. No big surprise here given they are the premium products from two name brand companies. I would happily use either 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
OP, thanks for the UOA, it all looks fine to me.

This UOA was Edge but the previous 4 were M1 and you can see this in the typical Magnesium and Calcium detergent mix used in M1, while the Edge leans heavy on Calcium.

To be honest I can't see any significant difference between the M1 and the Edge. Look at the Edge iron wear numbers (19 ppm) and the Edge KV100 viscosity (8.66 cSt), in both cases I can find previous M1 results that are both higher and lower.

The zinc levels are similar at about 750 ppm, with maybe a slight advantage to the Edge. Also the TBN retention is similar all finishing in the 2.8 - 3.8 range, with maybe a slight advantage to the M1. They both have much the same Moly at ~ 70 ppm, but the Boron prize goes to the Edge (~120 Vs ~30 ppm).

I would say both the M1 and the Edge are doing a good job and performing much the same. No big surprise here given they are the premium products from two name brand companies. I would happily use either 5W30.

Thanks for the feedback SR5, much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: gap599
What are your thoughts about trying T6 5w40?
Castrol 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back