2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Rear Drum Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to pull the drums on my truck about twice a year during winter/summer tire changeover to just inspect stuff. The lip/ridge on the drums makes pulling them off a pain when I have the shoes adjusted up good. To be specific, I'm talking about the ridge on the back of the drum. It hangs up on the shoes as I pull the drum off, and I have to back off the adjuster before the drum will come off. Then I have to adjust them back up after I get the drum back on.

I've been thinking about grinding off the lip to make this easier, but I'm wondering what unforeseen issues this might cause. I doubt it'll throw off the balance enough to worry about. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
I've been thinking about grinding off the lip to make this easier, but I'm wondering what unforeseen issues this might cause.

That's done all the time by the pros (or should be, anyway). I've done it myself. There are no drawbacks unless you're inept about it.

What you do:
1) get an air tool or a hand-drill, and a bullet-shaped steel cutting bit
2) pull the drum off and place it on the floor, open side UP
3) trap the drum between your feet so it can't move
4) bend over and -- using BOTH hands -- run the cutting bit in a circle around the ridge evenly until the ridge is gone.

You want to move smoothly and steadily, with even pressure all around and the tool running at high speed. Go lightly and remove the ridge in several passes. This will also help you develop your technique.

You can even chamfer the edge slightly to impede formation of a new ridge.

If you use a pistol-shaped hand-drill, lock the drill to the ON position so you don't have to hold the trigger. You may find it easier to grasp the drill by its body rather than by the handle (handle facing away from you). It's easier to swing the drill in a circle that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back