Unbelievable Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a school zone on the way to work today and a big SUV approached me from behind going pretty fast and slammed its brakes on at the last second, barely avoiding hitting me.
I figured it was either a texter or a road rager, but it turned out to be a lady applying some kind of cream to her face. She had it on both hands and was rubbing it in vigorously around her eyes, resulting in her driving with her vision blocked a good percentage of the time.
???????
I had a lady bump me at a light very close to this zone last year, she kept creeping up on me and I saw that she was texting. I was about to beep at her when she got pretty close, but then she finally looked up and stopped. I looked back ahead and the light changed right around then, and she bumped me just as I was taking off. I pulled over and saw there was no sign of any damage, so I waved her off. She apologized and I asked her to put the phone away while she was driving, but she claimed that her sandal fell off and that was why she took her foot off the brake.
????????????

Don't you just love people who multi-task while they drive? I love the people who read the paper and text while they drive, very common during the morning rush in these parts.

This is exactly why I'm selling my motorcycle...way too many distracted drivers on the roads these days...

Originally Posted By: grampi
This is exactly why I'm selling my motorcycle...way too many distracted drivers on the roads these days...

Smart move. People in downtown Toronto cross the street on red lights and don't see me when I'm riding a bike. I've had to yell at many of them.

My new phrase will be, "Are you broke, because you can't even afford to pay attention when you cross the street".

It's only going to get worse IMO.

This AM I had a guy in a Ram 2500 running a red light and turning into my lane and it was very lightly raining and he fishtailed and I had to exit to the shoulder and he just missed me. He totally lost control.

Yesterday the second I hit the intersection it turned yellow and no way to stop I went through. Still on early yellow.
About 12-15 car lengths behind me a Mack tanker truck went through as well- solid red light and a tanker- NUTS!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
This AM I had a guy in a Ram 2500 running a red light and turning into my lane and it was very lightly raining and he fishtailed and I had to exit to the shoulder and he just missed me. He totally lost control.

Yesterday the second I hit the intersection it turned yellow and no way to stop I went through. Still on early yellow.
About 12-15 car lengths behind me a Mack tanker truck went through as well- solid red light and a tanker- NUTS!

I see it everyday here.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I was in a school zone on the way to work today and a big SUV approached me from behind going pretty fast and slammed its brakes on at the last second, barely avoiding hitting me.
I figured it was either a texter or a road rager, but it turned out to be a lady applying some kind of cream to her face.

Brings back memories for me. My first wreck was when I was stopped for signal light, sitting still, and a SUV rear ended me at 30 MPH or so. After I gathered myself, I looked and saw the SUV's windshield splattered with what I thought was red blood. Fearing the worst for that driver, I looked into her truck and realized it was fingernail polish. She was polishing her nails, oblivious to the stopped traffic ahead of her. The nail polish bottled had shattered on the windshield. I walked away with whiplash. Lucky I was about 20 years old at the time. I recovered quickly.

All this makes me wonder if a way to fix this is with better education when they get their license? Or maybe keeping the amount of doo-dads and switches on a car less?

When I had my 70 Lincoln there wasn't much to fiddle with and the car, because of it's size, forced me to pay close attention to my driving. One thing I've noticed is that the small cars of today can easily "wander" around in their lanes. Back in the days of big cars you had to pay attention to keep your car centered, plus the old worm gear steering boxes were sloppy.

What's the solution to all this? Missile launchers? Stupid flags?
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
All this makes me wonder if a way to fix this is with better education when they get their license? Or maybe keeping the amount of doo-dads and switches on a car less?

When I had my 70 Lincoln there wasn't much to fiddle with and the car, because of it's size, forced me to pay close attention to my driving. One thing I've noticed is that the small cars of today can easily "wander" around in their lanes. Back in the days of big cars you had to pay attention to keep your car centered, plus the old worm gear steering boxes were sloppy.

What's the solution to all this? Missile launchers? Stupid flags?
coffee2.gif

You guys need some serious distracted driving penalties, here its $500 or $1000 fine, and 3 demerit pts for holding a cell phone while driving. For new drivers they lose their license for a month or 3.
Some people still text or talk on their phone of course, but they also keep one eye on the road to avoid getting caught as well...

I'm surprised I didn't get rear ended yesterday. you get these people who either aren't paying attention and hit the brakes at the last minute or tailgate the guy in front constantly hitting the brakes. I always look behind me when I hit the brakes hard to make sure the guy behind me is stopping. I'm pretty sure the guy behind him was chirping his tires trying to get stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

Yeah, but I like all the doo-dads and switches. I know when not to play with them though.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You guys need some serious distracted driving penalties, here its $500 or $1000 fine, and 3 demerit pts for holding a cell phone while driving. For new drivers they lose their license for a month or 3.
Some people still text or talk on their phone of course, but they also keep one eye on the road to avoid getting caught as well...

The fines we have don't work well around here. Too bad the police can't take the phone, toss it on the ground and stomp on it, just after they issue the fine. LOL That might get people to think twice about texting and driving.

We're just getting started folks. Cars now seem to have touch screen controls for everything and you can't manipulate those without looking at them.

Gone are the days of keeping your eyes on the road while you turn a physical volume or fan speed knob.

But the tech apologists will claim it's so much better and the accountants will say that 1 screen with software is cheaper than actual knobs and dials.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Too bad the police can't take the phone, toss it on the ground and stomp on it, just after they issue the fine. LOL That might get people to think twice about texting and driving.

Haha, that would be the biggest deterrent of all for the chronic phone users...

I was just asked to again drive fireworks around the Minneapolis-St.Paul area this morning and I don't know if I want to continue after over 30 years. Seems they think those orange diamonds are to see how close they can drive to me. The last couple years the inattentive driving has grown to be a larger problem than drunk driving

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The fines we have don't work well around here. Too bad the police can't take the phone, toss it on the ground and stomp on it, just after they issue the fine. LOL That might get people to think twice about texting and driving.

Haha, that would be the biggest deterrent of all for the chronic phone users...

It would. It would hit them where it hurts the most.

The bad drivers here are either texting or oldies. The oldies are terrible, going 20 under in the left lane or pulling out in front of you without looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back