Gas Station Gift Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have one no matter if it was a gift, reward, or you purchased it.
Do you use it when you get it?
Or,.........
Wait until gas goes down in price?
Or....
Do you use it when gas is sky high.
Be honest!!!!

I use them when I need gas, price isn't important if my tank is empty.

Every other week Publix has the gas card promotion $10 off all $50 gas cards.

10.9 cents a gallon, or 10.9 cents off each gallon?

I looked at the B.P. Rewards program, and the best I could see is a $0.10 discount on a tank of gas after paying full retail for a total of $100. What am I missing that you've figured out?!

I usually get $25 a month in Sunoco cards, but I also get fuel points from Kroger (anywhere from 500-800 a month) that expire if not used by the end of the next month. I like to let the tank run low if I can and use the points on a fill-up, especially if the price happens to be down. I like to use the cards when I'm traveling or if I need to just top off the tank before a trip.

GrtArtiste

Originally Posted By: RichardS

big difference between the two

I buy Arco gift cards from the Supermarket and earn 6% cashback which beats the 4% cashback for gas purchases on my Costco Visa credit card.

Most of the time, Arco has the best price, and I have a couple that are convenient for me, so I'm using the gift cards regularly.

If another convenient gas station has a 2% better price than Arco, then I'll use them instead.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Add the discount for Shells reward program, and you're racking up those $'s saved. I just have a problem finding $50 in groceries at a time to get the gas card discount.

Usually buy them 7% off on ebay and use them almost exclusively for fuel. That plus a 2% off credit card to buy them is a decent discount. Around here, gift cards also charge the cash price rather than credit, which can be up to $.10 off a gallon.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Add the discount for Shells reward program, and you're racking up those $'s saved. I just have a problem finding $50 in groceries at a time to get the gas card discount.

Must have got approx 70 gas cards in the past 5 years. $50 in groceries is what I normally buy when I go to Publix.

I get Shell Fuel Rewards on my credit card. I just save them till I get a free tank of gas (well, actually, it cost me $0.38 for 20 gallons, the pump has to charge me $0.019 per gallon).
img:gal:4879592cbbc24c413]https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/05/full-4879-8299-fuel.jpg[/img]

I also have Kroger Rewards that I use some time before they expire. I try to do it when my truck is empty, then bring a few fuel cans. The discount is up to $1 off/gallon up to 35 gallons, so I get as much as I can.

As for actual fuel cards, I use them as I need them. I buy them when they are on sale on e-bay (usually ~$85-90 for a $100 card) and usually fill my wife's car with them. Many times you also get a "cash" price when you use them, around here is is $0.03/gallon off.

Publix has been the only grocer that offers a real worthwhile program for gas gift card discounts.

We have a Randall's here, which is Tom Thumb in other areas.

Anyways, their grocery prices are sky high, and you get 10 cents off per gallon for every 100 dollars spent.

I figure it's not worth the money I pay in groceries, to save $2 on a fillup of fuel.

Costco or sams are usually 5 cents to 10 cents cheaper anyways.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

big difference between the two
10.9 cents/gallon, TOTAL! If you don't use the reward, it accumulates-usually when it gets around $2.00 off per gallon, then I use it. Work van seems to like the Top Tier BP gas better than it did the Speedway gas in the old days, too.

My wife and I almost always buy Racetrac cards at Publix when they run the $10.00 off a $50.00 gas card coupon deal. We always keep at least one or two Racetrac cards on hand. Around here it is not a good idea use your bank card or debit card at the pump, there are too many stations with skimmers to steal your card information and your money. Some people have reported being scammed even when they used their debit cards inside the store, which can only mean the store owners and/or employees are in on the scam. Gas gift cards or low-limit dedicated credit cards are the only safe way to buy gas here unless you pay with cash in the store.

We buy them from Kroger with our American Express Rewards Gold which earns us double the cash back points, plus we earn 2X the fuel points at Kroger.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Be honest!!!!

I use it when I realize I've left it laying on my dresser for ages.
wink.gif
Honestly, I like to use them when filling a jerry can for my OPE, rather than fooling around with a couple payment methods for filling a vehicle.

I use them when I need gas.

I buy them when Chase or Discover have promotions offering 5% back at gas stations. I also buy them when the cards offer 5% back at grocery or home improvement stores as Jewel, Home Depot, and Lowes sell BP and Shell cards.

I use gift cards over credit cards partially to get the max benefit for the quarter (I don't go though that much gas in 3 months, but I will over the course of a year or so) and to keep my credit card from being skimmed at the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back