Honda GCV160 Mower - White Smoke at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I bought a Honda Harmony II with the GCV160 engine last August and I've noticed that since taking it out of winter storage, it seems to smoke a bit at startup. It took two or three pulls to get it going the first time, and it smoked for about 3-5 seconds. Before storing it, I filled up the tank with gas and added stabil and ran it for a few minutes to circulate it. I also did an oil change before storage. Now after that initial hiccup, it starts on the first pull every time, but emits white smoke for a second or two before eventually stopping. Is this normal? I don't remember it doing it last year, but I can't remember for sure. It seems to run and operate OK otherwise. I thought I'd try to ask and address it before it possibly gets worse. I think it's still under warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Perfectly normal. Probably got a little oil past the rings in storage, or if it was tipped shuffling it around.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Perfectly normal. Probably got a little oil past the rings in storage, or if it was tipped shuffling it around.

Is it normal for it to smoke for 2-3 seconds after it sits for a week, though?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Definitely normal for any Briggs or Tecumseh product nowadays. Not sure if it's "normal" for a Honda, but just watch oil consumption. It shouldn't use more than 1/2 quart every 25-30 hours.

^^^ I was going to say the opposite^^^ I had one that smoked with M1 5-30 and it got worse and always drained with metal shinies. I changed to M1 10-30, the smoking dropped noticeably and it stopped having shinies in the oil. M1 5-30 did not do that engine any favors. That engine went to my ex-wife.

The next honda mower I bought, I stayed with 10-30 PP, and it never smoked.

Try lowering the oil level to halfway on the dipstick between "Add" and "Full"

And use the fuel shutoff. The needle and seat in the carb could be worn.

Or dont worry about it. Its a mower, and most of them smoke on startup.

I ran my petrol generator for a weekend and it ran out of oil. There was smoke and a burning smell coming out of it . What can I do wigh it?

Thanks for the tips and anecdotes everyone. It very well may have done this last year when it was brand new and I just never noticed it. I'm currently using Formula Shell 5W-30 in it, but will likely use a 10W-30 next, probably Delo 400 XLE or Chevron Supreme. Right now the oil level is right at the full mark on the dipstick, so I don't think it's an overfill issue. It doesn't consume any oil thus far, and it still looks as clean as the day I filled it up early last winter.

tom slick - That's very good to know that it appears to be normal, and that yours is going on 15+ years old now and it didn't affect anything.

Move up to a heavier oil if you are running something thin.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Move up to a heavier oil if you are running something thin.

Hi Lubener - The manual recommends 5W-30 or 10W-30. I am currently using conventional 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back