AAP Totalgrip AA7317 6mo/5,032mi on Honda J35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wrapped up an oil change on the wife's Acura RDX this long weekend and pulled off this Advance Auto Parts Protection Plus Totalgrip AA7317 filter. Total service time was 6 months, 5,032 miles on Valvoline Maxlife 0W-20, with OLM reading 30%.

This red guy was picked up a long time ago during a BOGO clearance event -
Gnhm5Cc.jpg

1zBOTtm.jpg

Date code is F11T28E2, which if I read it right is November 2007 -
vMsTAQ7.jpg

Cut open -
NLLvysJ.jpg

0mRwcCF.jpg

YyiZSrw.jpg

vFvjeRG.jpg

GPufwcr.jpg

Ut oh, darn! -
7uPVHbI.jpg

Welp, I originally thought these pre-dated the Purolator media tear problems and were still good for short OCIs on easy going Honda engines. In any case it is the last Totalgrip in my stash.

Full gallery here - http://imgur.com/a/dkMB4

Oh, forgot to mention gasket and ADV were in great shape and pliable. Only issue is the pesky pleat by the seam.

Well, I too thought that was made before the Tearolator problems, but I saw the wide pleats by the seam and then...

Too bad, I liked the grippy cans better than the Fram endcap only stuff.

What did you put on to replace it?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Using the Purolator date code...that filter was made in Nov. 2007.

Yep, good catch. I didn't see the date code pic in the till you pointed it out. I was thinking ~08 before you posted. Not excusing the tear, but for cellulose media ~9 years would generally be outside most normal usage limit expectations.

As an aside, years ago I used many of these. In fact first pic I ever posted was of an AAP TG in 2010, I never had a tear with use in Hondas. One of the last ones I used and posted, was HERE.

Thanks for c&p.

Sad to know that I considered the Purolator manufacture to be a sign of quality in these filters.
I had quite the stash of them years back and used the last probably six or seven years ago. I bought these in both the PH3600 and the PH3593A equivalents and used them on Accords, Subarus and an Aerostar, all of which are long departed.
They were clearanced quite cheaply and AAP was kind of picky about who got them when they got really cheap.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
... Not excusing the tear, but for cellulose media ~9 years would generally be outside most normal usage limits expectations. ...

That is true. 10 year old cellulose media, even under ideal conditions, might be a problem on it's own, but the fact that it tore in the same place as most all the other Puro filters (wide pleat next to seam, pushed away from seam) leads one to think that media age is not the problem.
Also you could check just by pushing on the media and see if it tears on other places. If it is media breakdown, other areas should tear just as easily.

Thanks for the C&P. The filter did a fine job and one small tear is not a huge deal. Man I sure liked those filters back in the day. I too stocked up back when they were around.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Thanks for the C&P. The filter did a fine job and one small tear is not a huge deal.

I'm not sure how someone can consider a filter that tore after only 5,000 miles to have done a "fine job" when it wasn't even in service for the vehicle's full recommended OCI.

I recently found 2 AATG3614's for my 4Runner which I'm sure are from 06-08. Was planning to run it for 5K but now I'm considering a 3-4K oil change and a definite cut to inspect for any tears in the media.

Originally Posted By: will1780
I recently found 2 AATG3614's for my 4Runner which I'm sure are from 06-08. Was planning to run it for 5K but now I'm considering a 3-4K oil change and a definite cut to inspect for any tears in the media.

I'd consider leaving it in the box, instead

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Well, I too thought that was made before the Tearolator problems, but I saw the wide pleats by the seam and then...

Too bad, I liked the grippy cans better than the Fram endcap only stuff.

What did you put on to replace it?

I had already installed another Purolator, a Bosch Distance Plus, when I got around to opening the Totalgrip.

I am not disappointed as much as surprised at the tear; I knew it was an old bargain filter when I installed it for a short OCI.

Originally Posted By: Padawan

I'm not sure how someone can consider a filter that tore after only 5,000 miles to have done a "fine job" when it wasn't even in service for the vehicle's full recommended OCI.

That very small tear is highly insignificant to the overall filtering ability. I have no doubts that the filter still did a fine job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back